Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debate: Best punishment for alleged snipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate: Best punishment for alleged snipers?

I was thinking this morning about how the probability of the alleged snipers getting the death penalty was pretty high. Now, Maryland is much more of a liberal state when it comes to the death penalty, but Virginia is up there with Texas and Florida with nuking your ass if you kill someone. I'm assuming there will be a huge rally to get them tried and convicted in Virginia just for that reason. Anyway, this got me thinking that nowadays, being in prison is like being a celebrity. You are glamourized for killing someone, dealing drugs, joining gangs and you are simply just put in a different world and are praised for it by your peers in prison. Some gang member in LA killed someone the other day and the camera crew happened to be there when he was getting arrested. As he was being dragged away, he looked straight into the camera and said how he wasn't scared of prison or the "****ing" police. And I believed him.
    So it got me thinking about what we could do to deter criminals from wanting to go to jail. They need to feel fear about going to jail. They need to feel that going to jail is way worse than not going to jail. I want them to think twice about it. What if we brought back a hard labor system. If the snipers new that they were going to spend the rest of there life doing manual, hard labor everyday for the next 30 years. I think they would re-consider. I also think prisoners have to many privileges. Take away their rights to meet with there families. Sure, they could write letters once a month, but no more face to face. Take away there interaction with other prisoners so they can no longer conspire, plan, etc... Basically, just minimize everything but hard. manual, back-breaking labor. Then video tape this and distribute to civics classses across the country. Educate children on what really happens when you go to jail. Show them the frost bitten hands of a prisoner who has been breaking his back up in alaska for the last 30 years. Show them the man he used to be and what he is like now. A mere ghost of a man that is tired and old and basically hates his life. A man that wants nothing more but to end his life and regrets everything wrong he has done. Teach our children that the alternative to a crime such as the sniper shootings is not worth the risk.
    Sure, there are different kinds of crime and different kinds of punishment. For example, what about the crooked CEO's from Enron and Worldcom. Do they deserve the same penalty? No way. I can't lump them in the same category as the sniper. Do they deserve to be punished more than a couple years in jail and a slap on the wrist with 'relatively' small fine? Hell yes they do! They deserve 20 years in jail and basically all of there money taken away from them. My point is, there are different punishments for different crimes.

And while I am at it. I am tired of people living in America who are anti-americans such as the alleged snipers. We get called 'racial profilers' because we want to keep an eye on black muslims in our country who have done nothing but admit they are anti-american and have caused a lot of violence. I say, if you are anti-american, and that is your right, then it is our right to watch you like a hawk. Doesn't matter if you are yellow, white, black, brown. If you are an extremist muslim in our country and you are anti-american, then you should be watched. If you don't have anything to hide, then you have nothing to worry about.
    And last, although this is my current view, I am open to hearing other people's views and why this may or may not work. I am simply tired of the crap we have now. It doesn't work and we need to change it.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Unless the sniper is a muslim, he will not die. Maybe officially, but in reality he will not die.
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
      Unless the sniper is a muslim, he will not die. Maybe officially, but in reality he will not die.
      He is a muslim.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
        With a name like Muhammad, chances are he's a Muslim, and the inevitable links will be made between him and Al-Qaeda.

What does strike me as odd seeing as he's supposed to have served in the Gulf War. Presumably his conversion to Islam came after that.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

If he is a muslim then he will get death penalty, obviusly.

Even if I'm with you: every nation should use prisoner as hard labor force to work on nationally useful jobs. Salt mines, for example...

(not that I'm against death penalty, simply it should be more productive and scaring...)
          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL

With a name like Muhammad, chances are he's a Muslim, and the inevitable links will be made between him and Al-Qaeda.

What does strike me as odd seeing as he's supposed to have served in the Gulf War. Presumably his conversion to Islam came after that.
            Yep, he converted to muslim about a year ago.

Dave

Comment

Re: Debate: Best punishment for alleged snipers?

Originally posted by Helevitia
              They need to feel fear about going to jail. They need to feel that going to jail is way worse than not going to jail. I want them to think twice about it. What if we brought back a hard labor system. If the snipers new that they were going to spend the rest of there life doing manual, hard labor everyday for the next 30 years. I think they would re-consider
              Why won't this work? Because every criminal EXPECTS to get away with it. These guys don't give a damn what might happen to them. If they cared about the consequences then there would be no murder. Now in the sniper's case, I imagine they would still have done it even if the punishment was eternal torture.
              Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

I think they should give him a fair trial, then if he's found guilty, give him the same mercy he gave his victims.
                --Insert something here--

Comment

This isn't your regular "domestic" killer.
                  Don't think an indoctrinated muslim fundamentalist would care much about his life. Consider him like a suicide bomber, what he cares is to do as much damage before he dies (in this case before he gets caught or killed by law enforcement).

Think of it like cancer, you take the surgical and radiation approach and in some cases it might work. Yet you forget the metastasis danger, a new tumor might pop up when you least expect it. And the terrorism cancer is in a metastasis stage.

Comment

Speaking as one who wrote a paper on execution methods throughout history I'd settle for;

The last 15 minutes of "Braveheart"

Burning at the stake

Garrote: put a loop of wire around neck, insert stick and twist.

Iron Horse: like a slide, but it's an "S" curved blade with a vertical edge. Put the perp on the seat at the top, tie weights to their feet & push.

Treeing: as in Robert Frosts poem "Birches"...bend down two trees, tie a leg to each and let 'em rip.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 October 2002, 11:57.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: Re: Debate: Best punishment for alleged snipers?

Originally posted by MadScot

Why won't this work? Because every criminal EXPECTS to get away with it. These guys don't give a damn what might happen to them. If they cared about the consequences then there would be no murder. Now in the sniper's case, I imagine they would still have done it even if the punishment was eternal torture.
                      I don't think they expect to get away with it. This brings me back to the point I made about the gangbanger in LA who blatently said he is not afraid of prison or the cops. Why? Because the punishment is too easy and he is glamourized for his crimes. As far as the sniper is concerned, if we are allowed to 'profile' such people without being ridiculed by the <insert favorite word here> and called racial profilers, then this person would probably not even be in america in the first place.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax
                        I think they should give him a fair trial, then if he's found guilty, give him the same mercy he gave his victims.
                        Again, this is too easy. He expects the death penalty for his crimes. He does not fear death.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                          This isn't your regular "domestic" killer.
                          Don't think an indoctrinated muslim fundamentalist would care much about his life. Consider him like a suicide bomber, what he cares is to do as much damage before he dies (in this case before he gets caught or killed by law enforcement).

Think of it like cancer, you take the surgical and radiation approach and in some cases it might work. Yet you forget the metastasis danger, a new tumor might pop up when you least expect it. And the terrorism cancer is in a metastasis stage.
                          Which is why this person whould be exhiled out of our country. If we had balls in politics this guy would have been pinpointed a long time ago.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                            Speaking as one who wrote a paper on execution methods throughout history I'd settle for;

The last 15 minutes of "Braveheart"

Burning at the stake

Garrote: put a loop of wire around neck, insert stick and twist.

Iron Horse: like a slide, but it's an "S" curved blade with a vertical edge. Put the perp on the seat at the top, tie weights to their feet & push.

Treeing: as in Robert Frosts poem "Birches"...bend down two trees, tie a leg to each and let 'em rip.

Dr. Mordrid
                            I didn't expect this response from you Doc. Of course, it would be fun to torture all of our victims, publicize it, show everyone how a crime can REALLY be punished, but what does this prove? Nothing. This proves that we are just as lame as the sniper or whomever. We need to be smarter, not more vengeful. There is a prison close to my neighborhood. It was rebuilt in the last 10 years. And guess what! They have Air conditioning, pool tables, ping pong tables, smoke-free environment(i know, the prisoners don't think this is a good idea), they get treated better than they do at home. hell, half of them are probably happy they are there then at there shithole project apts. lviing with there abusive father and there crack mother, surrounded by gangs who will kill you just for looking at them wrong or having the wrong color skin.

Dave

Comment

WTF is wrong with vengence?

It does two things;

1. it provides a strong dis-incentive to others.

2. it sure would make me feel better....

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X