Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new videocard: advice needed...

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my computer, and was convinced to put a Parhelia in it. The recent news about the one coming up next summer has changed my point of view slightly. Currently, I was thinking along the line of putting a temporary card in the computer, and then (when the Parhelia2 becomes available) put that temporary card in my second rig (which is a PII-450, to replace the G200 Millenium), perhaps to have dual-head and TV-out on that computer as well.

I still haven't ruled out buying a Parhelia and the moving this to my PII-450, but is this computer powerfull enough to fully allow the Parhelia to be utilized ? (if not, it seems a shame to put a card of that price in a system that cannot utilize it to the fullest)

Another alternative is to put the G200 in my new system, and buy some PCI-card for my PII-450. When the Parhelia2 then comes out, I could use the G200+PCI in the PII and the Parhelia in my upgraded system. The downside to this is that considering the G200, I won't be able to play many games (not that that is my main concern, but it can be fun sometimes), and that I'll still be lacking dual-head till next summer.

Finally, I could put the PCI-card in the new system (if the card is good enough, it could be better than the G200)... (and when the Parhelia2 comes out, put the PCI-card with my G200)

Any comments on all of this ? What would you do ? Which cards would you recommend (2D quality is very important to me) ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I'd get a 2nd hand G400 from a fellow murcer for the time being.
    The G400 is significantly stronger than the G200 so you'll have some 'joy' time with it.

Comment

It depends on your budget. You can get a Radeon 8500 for $80 nowadays... and that'll make you happy until such time as the P gets "fixed".

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

What resolution are you runing?
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Normally 1280x1024x32 bit (85 Hz), but I might also get a new monitor.
          The budget depends; I prefer paying a bit more to get quality than going for the cheapest things...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Seriously, a BBA (Built By ATI) Radeon 8500 is no slouch in the quality department. No, it's not a Parhelia. But it's ... a quarter of the price.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

So you guys would just go for an AGP card, move it over to the PII next year, and just ditch the G200 ?

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Yes

Comment

But it's been so good with me...
                  Well, yes, it probabely is the best solution (somehow, I still think it is a waste, but that is often the case with computers).

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

You might try a G450 PCI . Though a bit pricy at 115$ (on Matrox's onlineshop) it's nice to have a PCI card for backup when you screw the videobios on your AGP card and attempt to recover it. You can use it to have triple head along with a single head AGP card, quad head with a dual AGP and who knows, "penta head?" together with a Parhelia
                    And it will always look good at high resolutions and won't be picky when dumping it in an old system.

Comment

Is there a way of using the TV-out feature when there also is an AGP-card present ?
                      (my guess would be that it suffices to designate the PCI-video as the primary card in the bios)

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

(my guess would be that it suffices to designate the PCI-video as the primary card in the bios)
                        That would be my guess too. I never had a PCI and AGP card together so I don't know how the display properties (driver settings) would look when doing so.

Comment

Working...
                        X