Next Version Of Parhelia Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Version Of Parhelia Revisited

Discussion of the editorial found on www.murc.ws should be directed here.

Hello to all you MURC readers. I have some updates to the next card information including some new additions and bits of what to expect.

-The sterile 64 megabyte version of Parhelia has been put on hold. In its place will be a 256 megabyte version of the same card. It will be roughly the same chip with the same or lower clocks. Expect an announcement tomorrow, but as with anything dealing with Matrox Graphics, don't place all your money on it.
    -There is a revision of Parhelia waiting in the wings, it will be higher clocked all around and will support the latest and greatest 8X AGP interface. It will perform measurably better from the way things look. Don't expect it to be out in the very near future as they are set on selling what they currently have in production, then they may move to the revised Parhelia.
    -"Parhelia 2", from my most reliable sources, is said to be taped and ready to move forward from there. It has improved shaders, will be fully DX9 compliant and exceed, will have improved Fragment Anti Aliasing, improved 'free' aniso filtering, a revised memory interface, pipeline improvements to allow higher clock speeds, and should support more memory on board than the current Parhelia (512 vs 256). On paper, it looks like a good prospect and should perform better all around than the current cards. In the real world no one will know until it's here. Don't expect the card to appear sooner than next summer.

VigilAnt

P.S. Who says all Matrox news has to be bad news?
    VigilAnt

OMG!

That is a long, looooong time until the next card then

And by then Ati and Nvidia has already made another big leap away from Parhelia and/or Parhelia2 performance and then... *sight* and then... darn!

I just have to buy myself a P256 as long its clock tick as fast or faster then current P128 retail...

Comment

i'm like... sadly happy.
      The future's no use today.
      <a href="http://autarkic.org/geek.html">RIG*</a>

Comment

...well... that's the computer business, no?

If you want things to go the way you want, better take up knitting or crossword puzzles...
        How can you possibly take anything seriously?
        Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
          ...well... that's the computer business, no?

If you want things to go the way you want, better take up knitting or crossword puzzles...
          ROFL

Well, I once tried crossword puzzels but it went the other way. So I guess I am out of luck, right? (I am not even thinking of knitting...)

Comment

yeah... on the bright side, by the time the next version of it will be out i may have money for it and a new system to go with it... bleh...
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by Rimfaxe

OMG!

That is a long, looooong time until the next card then

And by then Ati and Nvidia has already made another big leap away from Parhelia and/or Parhelia2 performance and then... *sight* and then... darn!

I just have to buy myself a P256 as long its clock tick as fast or faster then current P128 retail...
              I don't really believe it is that long of a time, especially considering Matrox Graphics' tendancy to take their sweet time with releases.

This translates into a revised Parhelia in the next months and an all new core and card for the summer. Not all that unreasonable.

With regards to ATI and NVIDIA, ATI should not have much more on the plate by that time and NVIDIA should have their completed answer to ATI by that time. But, as always, things can change very rapidly.

VigilAnt
              VigilAnt

Comment

Yeah, I'm happy to hear about the Parhelia 2, but kind of disappointed that the 256MB version won't bring any improvements. Lets hope its announcement is coupled with some new drivers that bring new functionalities.

Comment

So we will see
                  256MB Parhelia with same core as the 128MB card in near future (still AGP 4X card)
                  new revision (AGP 8X, improved and higher clocked core) some time later (both 128MB and 256MB cards?)
                  and a Parhelia 2 with new features (fully DX9 compliant etc.) around next summer ?

Did I get this right?

Hati

Comment

Well this is both good and bad news. It's sad to know that ther won't be anything new about the chip.
                    It's good to know that there will be something next summer. Moreover, by that time I may have the money to get my hands on one of those "revised" Parhelia !!!!
                    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

hmm the question is will the p256 have the issues that p128 has fixed? and will it really be cheaper than the p128 is now? if both yes than this sounds like a good card to me.

oh and 512mb on a gfx card? 10 years back my trident had 512kb i'm seriously wonderning if we will have 512GB on a gfx card in 10 years. this sounds completely ridiculous today, but so did 512mb 10 years ago.
                      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Hmmmm :/ I still have a dilemma. Say "Bye" to my G400 and buy current Parhelia or use the G400 little bit longer and then buy revised P or wait another fev weeks/months and then buy THE Parhelia 2.
                        Kuba2k

P4 1.6@2.1 512kB - i845E - 512MB DDR333@354 - 60 GB - G400 DH 32MB - EIZO 21" CRT & 29" flat TV - SB Audigy - Genius SW-5.1 Home Theater - Pioneer DVD 106s - TEAC WE540K - ELSA cable modem

Comment

I have the same dilemma, but then with a TNT-2 M64...

Umf
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Whow, I just reread the article, and I realized that the revised Parhelia and the Parhelia 2 are 2 different cards!!!!
                            So we won't have to wait until next summer to have something new!!!

woot!

Comment

Hey Matrox, try to catch the 300 MHz as the minimum for core frequency in that next revision/version
                              Kuba2k

P4 1.6@2.1 512kB - i845E - 512MB DDR333@354 - 60 GB - G400 DH 32MB - EIZO 21" CRT & 29" flat TV - SB Audigy - Genius SW-5.1 Home Theater - Pioneer DVD 106s - TEAC WE540K - ELSA cable modem

Comment

Working...
                              X