Windows XP: Svchost and IE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP: Svchost and IE

Ok, I just reinstalled Windows XP (yesterday) and am installing only office apps for this laptop since my new comp isn't far off now. When setting up the firewall (I use Zone Alarm, latest version), I get an alert saying that svchost.exe is trying to access the internet. Well, I decided to block it. In doing this, IE no longer will access web pages. However, I can chat, I can ping ips, I can even ping urls. I unblock Svchost.exe and everything is working again with IE. I don't have the personal firewall enabled. So I guess my question is - what is the svchost.exe and its relation to IE? Why won't IE work with it blocked? This happened before and after I upgraded to SP1.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

BTW, just so yall know I haven't been sitting on my hands with this one, I did look it up, but it really doesn't answer my question.

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.
    System Specs:
    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Well I don't run XP on my PC but I found this

maybe it is of some help for you.

Hati

Comment

svchost is a generic name for the Windows Service Wrapper.

Basically, you have a dozen services running at any given time, and MOST of them call themselves svchost.exe, and lump together with other services.

You've probably blocked something important.

This is the reason I _HATE_ Zone Alarm.

For a semi-authoritative list of Windows Services, you can check out Black Viper's pages at http://www.blkviper.com

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
        X