Looking for a good utility to cut/merge MPEG-2 files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good utility to cut/merge MPEG-2 files

I guess I would define "good" in this case as one that creates playable merges and has good resolution for finding cut points. TMPGEnc works but finding cut points is kind of tough, no frame by frame or keyframe advance.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Makes it kinda tough since most programs can only cut MPEG's where an I-frame exists; typically on a GOP boundary.

The only time this isn't the case is where a program converts the GOP's B and P frames to I frames for frame-accurate editing.

MSPro, VideoStudio etc. can do that, but you have to set the project settings up to exactly match the original files properties to minimize recompression.

You could also transcode the MPEG to a HuffYUV file, edit that and re-encode it.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc,

What's the quality like after going Mpeg > HuffYUV > Mpeg.

The last time I edited in Mpeg with MSPRO 6.5 I got a slite loss of audio sync..
      paulw

Comment

Cutting at I frames is fine. TMPGEnc works well but with no frame advance (or I frame advance) things are a little slow going.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I find it impossible to set up MS Pro not to rerender MPEG-2 streams (VBR) created with TMPGEnc. Also, is there a difference between rendering a little and a lot. I would think that if a stream is rerendered then that's that. Unless of course you're only talking about a little meaning portions with video overlays, transitions, etc...
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

The only way you can get even close to the MPEG details necessary (including the audio settings) is to open the Insert Video File dialog, select the file and click the Info button. The timeline Properties sheet doesn't give you the audio bitrate to set up in the Project settings.

I prefer using BitRate Viewer though.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 October 2002, 17:07.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X