Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boot issues... help !

Hello,

I'm having problems booting my computer (not sure if this question should be here or in Alternative lifestyles). Initially, it was setup in a dual-boot configuration between Windows 2000 Server and Mandrake 8.0 (with LILO as the boot manager). Because I didn't use the linux that often (and needed the diskspace), I deleted the linuxpartitions. The system still kept on booting (LILO-screen showed, and allowed me to choose).
    Yesterday evening I uninstalled a Windows-application (Photoshop 5.5, I intend to install the new version) and when the system rebooted, it refused to boot. It displays the letters LI and stops (normal bootproces shows the letter LILO and then shows the bootscreen).

I have booted from the Windows-CD and chose the option to repair an installation. In the repair-command-tool, I chose FIXBOOT, but this didn't change the computers behavior one bit. I then let it repair automatically (all options except verification of the files - due to servicepacks there would be a huge number of mismatches) but this also doesn't help.

Can anyone tell me how I can get my Windows to boot again (If I could repair the LILO, it would also be fine) ?
    (system is booting from a FAT16 partition)

Thanks !

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 23 October 2002, 00:32.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Ok, just got a suggestion: use
    fdisk /mbr
    to fix the master boot record (this can be done from the repair command console one can choose when booting the Windows CD)
    So I'll have to try this, but I am confident the problem is solved...

Jörg
    pixar

Comment

IEEE

DON'T DO THAT!!!!
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

sorry, now that i got that posted...

fdisk /mbr DOES NOT PUT THE RIGHT MBR IN FOR A WINDOWS NT SYSTEM.

boot off of the cd, go into the repair console, and type "fixmbr" that should fix it.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Well, you got my attention...

Even the fdisk from a Windows 2000 repair console is not ok ? Any idea what happens when one does perform an fdisk /mbr ?
          Guess I'll try the fixmbr first...

Thanks !

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Well, there is no fdisk in the repair console. (my bad)

Thanks again !!!

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Problem solved (fixmbr) !
              Thanks DGhost !

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

yeah, fdisk is entirely depriciated in Windows NT based operating systems...

granted, i didn't have to react the way i did... but, i have seen other suggestions of running fdisk/mbr from a dos boot disk on a 2000 system and it is not the same.... thats acctually what i thought you were saying initially... heh, doh...

Comment

I tried to install W2K on a computer with a fcked partition table....
                  It jus screamed that ntldr was missing
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost

granted, i didn't have to react the way i did... but, i have seen other suggestions of running fdisk/mbr from a dos boot disk on a 2000 system and it is not the same.... thats acctually what i thought you were saying initially... heh, doh...
                    Well, you were right to react like that, that was what I had been told...
                    (I'd rather have 10 reactions like that - with the right advice, than one "normal" response with wrong advice)

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Working...
                    X