Recommend a lockdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a lockdown?

My university will let me throw my P3 duallie on their backbone, but only did so under the stipulation that they aren't liable for it. So, could someone recommend a good computer lockdown with the least amount of hassle before and after? (ie. installation & cleanup of adhesive)

I'm not yet sure of the location of the installation, so I'll consider all possibilities...

I guess it would depend on what you want this machine to do?

You can lock down any modern OS. Are you thinking of a Linux variant? Windows?
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

He meant that he want to physicaly lock the machine down to a specifik place!

So it wont develop legs and walk off
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
        He meant that he want to physicaly lock the machine down to a specifik place!

So it wont develop legs and walk off
        HAHA! Wow, Guess I have been in server security to long....
        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

lag bolts.......
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
            I guess it would depend on what you want this machine to do?

You can lock down any modern OS. Are you thinking of a Linux variant? Windows?
            I guess this might be sidetracking, but do you have any good newbie'd links to (software) lockdowns?

This is a redhat 8 server intended as a webserver and possibly a game server.

Comment

Well, you need a server case with intrusion protection that you can lock first off.. then I suppose you could drill a couple of holes in the sides and run a heavy gauge bicycle chain through the whole unit.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                Well, you need a server case with intrusion protection that you can lock first off.. then I suppose you could drill a couple of holes in the sides and run a heavy gauge bicycle chain through the whole unit.
                Honestly that's not a bad idea at all. Grab a old case or buy a cheapie, drill some hole in it, feed a bike lock or a some chain through it and lock that bad boy to something that ain't moving
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I remember the old IBM AT desktop cases

The only thing nessesary was trill two holes and atach a padlock and the presumptive thief would have to use a cutting torch to steal it

Verry thick and heavy sheet metal
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

you can buy a few of these: http://cyberguys.com/cgi-bin/sgin010...REQC=3&UREQD=4

and secure the insides as well
                    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Put a 'Powered by VIA C3 Processor' sticker on the front, that'll stop it being stolen.
                      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I remember the old IBM AT desktop cases

The only thing nessesary was trill two holes and atach a padlock and the presumptive thief would have to use a cutting torch to steal it

Verry thick and heavy sheet metal
                        The IBM AT case was a theft deterrent in itself. If you reported one stolen, the police would contact the local hospitals to see if anyone had come in with a back injury or a hernia
                        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

you lucky guy isochar.

so is that software or hardware lockdown? i dont really get it
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1
                            you can buy a few of these: http://cyberguys.com/cgi-bin/sgin010...REQC=3&UREQD=4

and secure the insides as well
                            I wish those were awailable in sweden

Comment

I wish those were awailable in sweden
                              Yea... so convenient...
                              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                              X