Tom's HW tests 21 power supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom's HW tests 21 power supplies

Our mutual friend Dr. Thomas Pabst and his little hardware elves have stress tested a good number of power supplies, and results seem to show that you people are right about Enermax... Seems to be noisy at least. Also the the Noise Magic which actually was a modded Enermax gave up on the second try. Antec, HEC and Fortron seem to be the best bets from the "big names".

Read more @ http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02...021/index.html
    Last edited by Tempest; 22 October 2002, 18:06.

I checked that out the other day. I can't figure out how he managed to avoid PC P&C.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Heheh.

Comment

He also neglected to mention that Heroichi makes the Antec PSU's....
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          I checked that out the other day. I can't figure out how he managed to avoid PC P&C.
          Maybe because he lives in Germany? I can admit that before it was mentioned in some other thread, I had never heard of PC Power & Cooling except maybe in some American guys' computer specs. Could there be a chance that PC P&C rebrands their power supplies for other markets? Or are their products USA only?

Comment

Is Hiper any good?
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I don't see any entry for Sparkle? (SPI)
              Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

When you see FSP in the model name. It is a sparkle. So the Conrad and Verax PSUs are sparkle PSUs.
                I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

...I think that article is a half-assed, inconclusive, missleading blah-blah stream of consciousness trying to relate a jumble of brand names and unmatched models.
                  How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                  Who cares?

Comment

Well said Mutz.

Many a generously rated (ito power) PSU has demonstarted their inability to supply clean power at even way lower than rated power specs - just see how many people had lots of fun with patterning on analogue captures/output with the G200/G400 and eTVs because of exactly that.

Brandnames means squat when talking PSUs in my experience - My scope tells me who is lying long before the smoke starts appearing.
                    Lawrence

Comment

It does seem kinda pointless when he does not include PC Power and Cooling units in the test.

Not that his testing seems particularly worthwhile..
                      Last edited by KvHagedorn; 24 October 2002, 00:48.

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                        Well said Mutz.

Many a generously rated (ito power) PSU has demonstarted their inability to supply clean power at even way lower than rated power specs - just see how many people had lots of fun with patterning on analogue captures/output with the G200/G400 and eTVs because of exactly that.

Brandnames means squat when talking PSUs in my experience - My scope tells me who is lying long before the smoke starts appearing.
                        Aha....

So it that that makes tose funky wavy lines on the capture screen

I'm going to switch PSU anyway so if that goes away I'll see it as a bonus
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You are assuming you will get a decent PSU when you replace the current one - I wont count on it.

Also - it was not the only reason - some pathetic components and bad layout practice on certain models of mobos also gave the same symptoms.
                          Lawrence

Comment

The PSU thats going into that box is a Cheiftec 340W that has been in my main rig that is going to recieve a Cheiftec 360W PSU....

I can't really say more than that the 340 is excelent and I assume that the 360 will be as good
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

*ahem*

Nobody did it, so I have to...

Did he mention the new nVidia PSU? I mean, because nVidia makes the BEST KIT ON THE PLANET!

AND THIS IS MY UNBIASED OPINION!

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT BIG FAT ****ING CHECK FROM NVIDIA EACH MONTH!

OH NO NO!

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X