non internet linked computer: how ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non internet linked computer: how ?

I have thought about joining the MURC distributed team, but I have a problem:
    My computer at home does not have an internet connection (I don't even have a phone line at that residence). I do have the ability to download and upload data (via ZIP 250MB disks) to the internet using my office-system.
    Is there a way to set this so that e.g. I can download some stuff to do in the evening, have my homecomputer calculate during the next day (for all I care, it can calculate throughout the day while I am at work), and upload the results again the day after ?
    If so, how can I do this (and can it be extended to more than one day - e.g. download some stuff to calculate for the next couple of days) ?
    Or would this procedure slow down the chain too much (there would be approx. 2 days between download and upload) ?

Thanks for any comments !

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Depends a little on what project you wants to run... since there's a couple to choose from...

If you're talking about Distributed Folding, I'm not the correct to answer, but I think there shouldn't be any major problems...
    If Seti@Home, no problems.
    Genome@Home, no problems if 0.99-client.

Comment

Would you get in trouble if you ran it on your work machine?
      Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 22 October 2002, 16:11.

Comment

HP Superdomes

One of the guys I work with is responsible for our HP Superdome, which is currently sitting 4/5ths unused. Guess what he's using that 4/5ths for? Several instances of SETI.
        He reckons one work unit in about 3-4 hours, which isnt that impressive considering his home P4 2.8 runs a work unit in about 3hrs20mins.
        Unfortunately he runs a GeFart400MX that came with the PC, otherwise I'd try to convince him to go MURC

PS : I joined up the Seti@MURC team today with my sole XP1800. Hope to have my P2/450 and P2/350 at work online tommorow, and my Duron800 box within the next week.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Ha, it has operating and non-operating altitudes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rattledagger
            If Seti@Home, no problems.
            Genome@Home, no problems if 0.99-client.
            How should one do it with these projects ? Do I need to install the client on both work/home computer ?

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
            Would you get in trouble if you ran it on your work machine?
            Probabely not (although there were some security-issues with a similar thing in Linux some time ago)... However, my computer here is not *that* fast (PIII-800) and I often run some "heavy software" on it).
            But since my computer at home is just sitting there during the day, I thought about running it there (currently it is a mere PII-450 - soon to be upgraded , but if it could run from let's say 09:00 to 18:00 or even longer, it could do quite some calculations)...

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Well, as for running at work, make sure to get written permission to run... If you haven't, you can get into problems later...

For genome@home, the easiest is to just move the complete directory to/from work/home, and at home run with -nonet.
              If you wants to continue running, use 2 installs in separate directories, and alternate between them.
              If the wu don't burp on itself, no problem to run the same for a week.

As for Seti@home, use caching-software. If you've only got 1 machine at home, probably the easiest is seti-driver...
              For seti-driver, install at work, download x numbers of wu, move complete directory (including sub-dirs), start at home and let it run, move complete directory back and upload results/download new wu.
              As for how many wu to download, try out with 5 wu/day for a 1 GHz-machine. In Seti@Home, there isn't any problem to have a couple of weeks of cached wu.

If you've got multiple networked machines running seti@home, the best is running SetiQueue. Can also be used with only 1 machine...

Comment

Running at work shouldn't be a problem (it is a university, they don't really care what you are doing with your computer, as long as it is not illegal).

Thanks for the info. I'll install the clients on both computers (when I have a little more time), and try the things you have suggested.

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  Running at work shouldn't be a problem (it is a university, they don't really care what you are doing with your computer, as long as it is not illegal).
                  http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...ghlight=rc5%2A
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Re: HP Superdomes

Originally posted by RichL
                    Unfortunately he runs a GeFart400MX that came with the PC, otherwise I'd try to convince him to go MURC
                    The PC I'm posting from is running G@H and FD, both for MURC and it has a GeForce4 .

...Ooops, this one has a G550 , it's the other with just DF running for MURC that has that other brand (Yes the one I play games on, and based on VigilAnt's postings it doesn't look like I'll be useing MATROX cards for games any time soon , , + ).
                    Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                    and burped out a movie

Comment

Thanks for the warning, but in our university, they don't seem to mind running Seti or Genome or anything like that, on your own desk computer. (They might object when people would start to use the main servers for that purpose though )

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Working...
                      X