G400 dying! What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 dying! What to buy?

My trusty G400 is dying... it now shows some image corruption every 5 mins or so... like when you overclock it too much. (mine isn't overclocked)

So, I'm looking for a new card.

Was thinking either
    1. G400 MAX
    2. Radeon VE

The only thing I truly require is good dual-head support. I don't care too much about 3D performance, since I don't play FPS games. But I still do a lil bit care about it... since I play some lesser 3D games such as Warcraft and the upcoming Age of Myth.

However, G400MAX is still like 40pounds, and there is no more BBA VE around... what do I do? What do you guys reckon?

Anyway, any idea how do I underclock my G400?

Thanks.

RIP to my G400, soon.

EDIT:

Now... kinda fixed. Still looking for a new card though.
    - The problem is definitely not PSU, SiS nor Windows.
    - No problem in Linux/FreeBSD
    - Revert back to original WinXP driver... no problem.
    - Back to Matrox driver again, .82, .84, .86 all same problem.
    - Likely to be memory corruption? Or not.
    - Now underclocked to 105MHz... by using PowerStrip.
    Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 22 October 2002, 14:56.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

I bought a Super-Grace Radeon 7000ve (Powered by ATi) cheap. The 3dMark score was about the same as my G400Max (given it was running on a lower spec PC), but of course, you have the curse of ATi drivers.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Definitely, go with the MAX!

Had a Radeon VE, just a piece of crap. The dual monitor and the TV-out setup drove me nuts. Also, the image quality plain sucks in comparison to the MAX.

Cheers.
      main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Any comments on GeForce?

Also, would G550 be a better choice than G400MAX?
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
          Any comments on GeForce?

Also, would G550 be a better choice than G400MAX?
          The G400Max is generally accepted as the fastest of the G-Series cards made, ever.
          The G450 & 550 are said by some to have marginally better 2d quality, and of course with the G500 you get headcasting, which is sure to impress the girls.*

But all round I'd say your best bet is the G400Max, if you can find one.

(*Sorry, been watching Jeremy Clarkson on TV )
          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
            ...and of course with the G500 you get headcasting, which is sure to impress the girls.*
            LOL
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yea... actually I've lurking on eBay, bit-tech, theoverclockingstore etc for a while looking for a G400 MAX. There is one on Aria that sells for about 40pounds inc shipping, which I don't think a G400 MAX should be this price.

Don't get me wrong, I'm (still am) a happy owner of G40, but I just don't think a G400 MAX worths 40 pounds... (ok it by itself is not expensive but the shipping is) And the fact that it is a basement item that might have cables missing...

The reason I asked about G550 is that... it has hardware T&L, doesn't it?

Oh a G-series doesn't support per-pixel alpha transparency which makes those cool effects on Windows a bit too slow...

HOWEVER!! Anyone wants to sell me a G400MAX for 25pounds inc shipping?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                The reason I asked about G550 is that... it has hardware T&L, doesn't it?
                It has shaders... Which are only supported in HeadCasting

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest
                  It has shaders... Which are only supported in HeadCasting
                  Oh damn... now I remember I read that on here before!

Comment

Hmm...

Also, what about...

Code:
                    Radeon 9000
                         |
                         |---DB15---> Primary Monitor
                         |
                         |---DVI---(DVI to DB15 Adaptor)---> Secondary Monitor
                         |
                         |---S-Video--> TV
                    Would this work?
                    I honestly know nothing about DVI-to-DB15 convertor...

Thanks.

Comment

That would work, but not all three displays at once. Either two monitors or monitor + TV.
                      main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Originally posted by MetalCartman
                        That would work, but not all three displays at once. Either two monitors or monitor + TV.
                        Eh? I thought ATI cards could do it? Because they have an extra TV-out chip.

I know Matrox G-series can't.

EDIT:

The TV-out is merely for mirroring, if that matters.

Comment

Yes, but only two RAMDACs...

Comment

Working...
                          X