Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4 3.06 GHz HT

here's some Sandra benches posted on myhard.com

According to Adrenaline Vault's P4 3.06 GHz Processor Q&A with Intel it's supposed to show up at CPL:
    The Adrenaline Vault interviews Intel's Gabe Achanzar about the 35 Pentium 4 3.06 GHz computers the chipmaker will be providing for the CPL's upcoming Unreal Tournament 2003 competition. That's right - 3.06 GHz. What additional functionality and power will Intel's next processor bring to PC gaming? Read on.
    and HT performance:
    You'll see the usual solid performance increases when we add 200 megahertz. However, in some instances, you can see up to 25 percent performance improvements from Hyper-Threading Technology alone.
    Last edited by Admiral; 22 October 2002, 02:43.

I waiting for granite bay for that cpu then it's upgrade time for me!

Comment

Granite Bay looks very promising, but I remain a bit sceptical about HT..

they say

However, in some instances, you can see up to 25 percent performance improvements from Hyper-Threading Technology alone.
      but I'm only interested in the average picture, not _some cases_, which doesn't mean shit.

What does HT as will be found on the P4 do for games, office programs, and normal multitasking in windows desktop environment?

I guess we'll have to wait for solid benchmarks that test this (as Intel is vague about wether the HT implementation is the same as the one found on the current Xeon line).

Comment

Received word from a well known distributor that the new Pentium IV 3.06GHz that has hyper-threading will be arriving at their facility on November 10th. Price is $691.00 per unit in lots of 1000. (Shout out goes to my boy Sean Hayes for the correction of units. ;-) ) I'm hoping that Granite bay is launched at the same time with the 3.06GHz, but I can't confirm that just yet. So here is what we do know:
        found at
        日本で一番人気! 海外取引所なら「バイビット」 入金ボーナスあり 新規顧客の皆さまを対象に特別キャンペーン実施中 バイビット口座開設はこちら

But 691.00 USD for the CPU is way too much for me

Hati

Comment

It's damn too much, we're closing to prices near to those in the AMD-Intel "Gigahertz War" period.

I'd rather get a 2 Ghz Northwood (400 fsb), ~200$ here, latest stepping (d0 I think), made in Malaysia, combine it with an i845PE mobo, some quality DDR400 memory and go for the 160 fsb.

Comment

What does HT as will be found on the P4 do for games, office programs, and normal multitasking in windows desktop environment?
            NOTHING if your apps were not designed to use HT, and actually slowing things if the mobo bios is not HT aware - and on top of that also running XP if the MS and Intel mutterings is to be believed.!

Edit: added URL
            Last edited by LvR; 24 October 2002, 07:16.
            Lawrence

Comment

Notice that Avault says "You'll see the usual solid performance increases when we add 200 megahertz." Sorry, but upping the CPU speed by 6% helps almost nothing run better in itself. It makes their HT comments suspect.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X