Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS P4S8X Mothereboard --- Some Help Please !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P4S8X Mothereboard --- Some Help Please !!

Hi All,

I have just installd a Asus P4S8X Mothereboard and with just the video card, Marvel G400-TV, and no other devices I had these problems.

1 unless I set the SDRAM CAS Latancy to 3T the machine will freeze. I have used various brand of 333 DDR RAM without improvment at all.

2 With WinXP I will have to keep the AGP Fast Write Cappability Disabled.

When the Audigy card is installed (on board audio disabled) the machine will perform a scan disk unless it is set to non PnP

P4 2GHz
    Audigy
    PSU 350W, 2 fans speed regulated
    Marvel G400-TV

Any ideas ??

Regards,

Debbie
    Last edited by Debbie; 21 October 2002, 21:34.
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Hi Debbie,

A computer guru I'm not but I just installed a P4S8X as well with a 2.4b processor,G400 Max, onboard sound, onboard LAN, 512 meg stick of Micron pc2700 and XP. It is very late here so I will check my bios settings in the morning. BTW, everything is running superbly.
    Laurie
    ======

Comment

I was thinking of purchasing this board but read about so many problems with it, especially problems with DDR333. But my advice to you would be to go over to www.asusboards.com and read their forums under "Intel Chipsets->Other Chipsets" There are hundreds of posts about this board and the various problems they've had.

-jason

Comment

Holy Doodle, what a mess!!

I've had to skim through a lot of it(I'm at work) but it sure seems there are problems with this board. None of which I've experienced so far but then I have not changed any bios settings, everything is on default.

Sorry Debbie, I forgot to check my settings this morning but now I realize I've just told you what they are: Default everything.

Oh, my memory is Samsung pc2700 not Micron.
        Laurie
        ======

Comment

Well, I just tried manually setting my mem speed so that it would run at 333(as it is supposed to!!). Changed the auto to 166. Spontaneously reboots in XP now. Be glad you're rid of it Debbie.
          Laurie
          ======

Comment

I believe there were some bad SIS648 chipsets out and Asus was reported to have known about it and had some fix for it. Saw it on Hardcop two weeks ago.

DJ

Comment

From what I have found out (better late than never) this board has been an Asus "lemon", however now it's gone !!

Debbie

Comment

Just one last comment and I'll let this thread die a silent death.

I've decided to keep the board. It runs Prime95 for hours just fine at DDR266 and it is too costly in time and shipping to be bothered RMA'ing it for just a 25% increase in memory speed when it runs so much faster than my last board already. I realize it is supposed to run DDR333 but when you need benchmarks to prove it or see it, what's the point.
                Laurie
                ======

Comment

Hi Laurie,

I agree with you all the way. I also found a way to get the BOBO going, but I do'nt feel all that good when the thing will not operate as it shuld even at default settings with DDR 333, plus rebooting my computer for no known reson.

Regards,

Debbie

Comment

Working...
                  X