Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good & Cheap Raid?

Hi all!

Any recommendation on good and dirt cheap raid (1+0) cards?
    Remember it has to be dirt cheap... I just don't want to ghost every two months or so (oh and of course some extra performance from raid is always nice )

Thanks!
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Promise.

There are no other RAID cards worth a damn.

Oh, are you talking about REAL RAID? As in SCSI?

Can't help you there, don't know any cheap good ones.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Yea I know Promise is the best I can get, but they ain't exactly dirt cheap (their normal IDE controllers are)...

Is Highpoint any good? Pretty cheap they are.
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

try one of these

i have one in my server box behind me with 3 4.3 gig drives in RAID5 8)
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Highpoints are frozen crap on a stick.

For a cheap RAID 0+1 look up a Fasttrak 100 or Fasttrak TX4. Both and therefore selling at a discount vs. current models.

The best Fasttrak offering data redundency right now is the SX4000 RAID5, but it's running about $150 USD +/- and requires 3 drives to set up a very fast RAID5. It can do JBOD, RAID0, RAID1 and RAID0+1 as well, but you can do those cheaper as noted above.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 October 2002, 19:05.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well I have a HighPoint raid controller. I don't even use it in a raid configuration and it is causing trouble. The computer often freezes when there is intensive HD activity.

Comment

Like I said

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm another victim of Highpoint RAID controllers. My motherboards HPT370 worked fine for at least three days in RAID 0 striped across 2 30gb disks (known good working disks too)
                Then the PC died with a BSOD so fatal I had to rebuild and decided not to risk it again.

Promise controllers can be bought from Maplins stores, IIRC its about £50 for a TX2.
                Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Running two 40 GB Maxtor D740X:s using striping on HighPoint 372... No problems, but performance doesn't exactly blow your mind away.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
                    I'm another victim of Highpoint RAID controllers. My motherboards HPT370 worked fine for at least three days in RAID 0 striped across 2 30gb disks (known good working disks too)
                    Then the PC died with a BSOD so fatal I had to rebuild and decided not to risk it again.

Promise controllers can be bought from Maplins stores, IIRC its about £50 for a TX2.
                    TX2 is not a RAID card is it?
                    If it is then WOOO!! It's 34quid only on Scan!

Comment

There are two TX2 models; one is a plain PCI IDE controller (Ultra100 or Ultra133 TX2) and the other a RAID (Fasttrak100 TX2). There is also the Fasttrak TX2000 RAID.

Careful....

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 October 2002, 09:27.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

then adaptec ide raid cards are out of the question too since they use the highpoint controlers...

i have a TX2 myself.... works great..... now if only i had some of those WD 200GB 7200RPM 8mb cache HDDs .........

i do freelance nonliniar editing on my machine... in DV 25 and 50 but i only have four of the 40 GB 7200rpm 2mb variants... and not too many customers latly..... dead season..
                        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

3Ware Escalades are pretty nice, I use a couple in my BSD boxes.

Comment

How are promise cards supported in FreeBSD?

Comment

I am not 100% sure on this but I think all those cheapo raid cards are software raid. I don't know about BSD but in linux you can setup a software raid array and it works quite good and the speed gains are in par with the "hardware" cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X