Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sandia Labs to install a new Cray....based on the OPTERON!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandia Labs to install a new Cray....based on the OPTERON!

"The supercomputer, code-named Red Storm, will contain approximately 10,000 Opteron chips and be capable of churning 40 trillion calculations per second (40 teraflops) when it becomes operational in 2004."

Sheesssshhh.....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 October 2002, 13:57.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I wonder if I could buy a few cou crunching hours to try and crack that zip file of mine?

Seriously, 40 trillion calculations per second??? Insane!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

And according to Moore we should have it on the desktop in a few years

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        And according to Moore we should have it on the desktop in a few years

Dr. Mordrid
        Do you know how much a Cray costs? If they manage to bring it in desktop form than I can imagine it's still gonna be WAY out of anybody's price range.

Comment

It's called Quantum computing....and it's likely closer than you think.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Is this a good article on what quantum computing is?

I've actually never heard of quantum computing persay. I'm just used to the binary mode of data transfer. This qubit concept is interesting though.

Comment

Older article. Now NTT is talking about using atoms whose electrons spin state would be used for data storage, among other things.

Dr. Mordried
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Do you have any articles to backup what your saying? It's a little hard to follow when your not familiar with electron spin state and such.

Comment

hmm... quantum machenics... in computer...

interesting tho... they should find a way to get an exact location and momentum of electrons... to prove henisenberg's uncertaintity principle wrong

using electron's spin state sounds wierd. Using the direction of electrons to replace binary digits...

someday we are going to use BIOlogical computers. Hmm... computer with endless beer/coffee maker... .

Comment

"Spin" is an intrinsic property of subatomic particles that denotes their internal angular momentum (don't confuse this with a literal spinning of the particle). They come in two classes;

Bosons: particles that have spins that are either equal to 0 or to an integer value (1, 2, 3). These include gauge bosons (photon, gluon, graviton, W, Z) and mesons (made of 2 quarks: pions, kaons etc.).

Fermions: particles that have spins with half-integer values (1/2, 3/2 and so on). This includes leptons (electron, muon, tau, neutrino etc) and baryons (made of 3 quarks: proton, neutron, sigma & lamda). Quarks themselves are Fermions with a spin of 1/2.

NTT is up to being able to change this spin state on selected particles (electrons would be the logical choice), and read the results back, in order to use it as storage. Atom by atom.

Quantum computing is based on what is called "quantum parallelism".

A system designed to use this is not only in its "classical" physics state but is also in a "superposition state" in which it contains all possible states at once. What are these "states" all about?

Think of a classical state for a bit being that can exist in one of two states; 1 for on/true or 0 for off/false. In a superposition state the bit (actually: qbit) could have a value of BOTH 0 and 1, TRUE and FALSE, at once. This is where the "mechanical/Newtonian" view of the world falls apart and quantum mechanics takes over. In quantum mechanics such superposition states are the rule and not the exception.

Because uncertainty (as in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle) is also part of the quantum mechanical world one of the biggest problems facing quantum computing is random events that change things mid-calculation. Because of this most of the efforts are now being focussed at designing quantum error correction techniques. Recently there have been some breakthroughs in this, so.....

Let's use a register as an example of how quantum computing would work in practice. A quantum register could, at once, represent all the decimal values 0 through 7. If we want to calculate the values of the function f(x), we could place our quantum register in the superposition state, calculate f(x) upon this state, and calculate all the outputs of f(x) at once and in parallel.

Apply quantum parallelism to each data path of an already parallel computing system and things get really nuts.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 October 2002, 15:05.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yeah, encryption is rendered feeble, among other fun things.

they should find a way to get an exact location and momentum of electrons
                      There's a pretty good theory that you can observe the secondary effects of an electron without observing the electron, and derive everything about it. Find where it was, and how it interacted with the remaining environment, and you're never actually messing with the electron itself.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

While quantum computing sounds very interesting, not everyone even agrees that it is even theoretically possible. Even if they do get it working, dont hold your breath. We wont see it this decade, thats for sure...
                        Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

decade? more like a century.
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Just remember Moores law, then hold onto your hat.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Reading Doc's post made my head hurt LOL
                              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X