Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good place to get CD-R(W) media in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good place to get CD-R(W) media in the UK?

Or if you want the long version...

....so a year or so ago (might even be two years), I went to my local PC World and bought a spindle of 100 el-cheapo (PC-Line) 80min CD-Rs. Never had a problem with them that wasn't my own fault.

But of course, I eventually ran out (mostly), so a couple of weeks ago I went and bought another pack of the same type at the same place. I opened it a couple of days ago and tried to burn to about five of them before I gave up - all but one were unreadable afterwards, and the other was...problematic. (Oddly enough, that one was written at 4x, the others at 1x.) If I use one of the few I have left from the original pack, it comes out fine.

So today I went back, and got the pack exchanged. Brought it home, and the two attempts I have made to write to them have failed during the burn this time. (Both at single speed again - I'm the kind of paranoid guy who burns at 1x if it's not needed in a hurry.) Again, a CD-R from the original pack works great.

So I'm going to take it back and get a refund, and it's probably time to look above the absolutely-dirt-cheap level, but the question is - where in the UK can I buy decent(ish) media in nice big packs at a good price?
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

EBuyer does cheap CDR media which is decent quality too.
    Only thing is delivery is £7 + unless you spend more than £100 ex vat.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Are you referring to the Ebuyer own brand stuff?

Another question - about CD-RW media. I know that there is 'normal' and 'high-speed' media, and that there are significant differences between them (don't mix and match, etc.). I was under the impression that 'high-speed' was 12x and above, but I've only ever seen stuff labelled as '10x'. Someone clarify?

Comment

Ribbit,
        Go to a computer show, you can get 100 non branded for about £20.
        -on the coaster front, I have seen disks get trashed when there has been a corruption of windows, a fresh install could solve the problem.

Breezer
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Damn it, I'm up far too late... I just hit the 'Reset Form' button instead of 'Submit'

A computer fair - why didn't I think of that? Trouble is, if my experience of fairs is anything to go by, there'll only be the bottom-of-the-pile, ultra-bulk media I've decided I want to avoid. But I might go along next weekend anyway.

And I'm using Linux, BTW. But I'm pretty sure it's a media problem anyway (or perhaps some media/drive interaction - the drive is an old Yamaha 4416S, and I normally only burn at single speed). It's been pretty much exactly like this...

1. Try to burn with CD-R from new pack.
          2. Suffer error somewhere (either during burn or checking afterwards).
          3. Swear loudly.
          4. Try another CD-R from new pack. Use exact same command as in step 1.
          5. Suffer similar error to step 2.
          6. Show something the finger.
          7. Try CD-R from old pack. Use exact same command as step 1/4.
          8. No problems. Glare angrily at new CD-R pack.

...every time.

Oh, and another question - any good sources for 90 minute media? I haven't seen it advertised much, and then only in small packs.

And while I'm here, I remember someone (Zokes?) having serious problems with some particular brand (Verbatim?)...perhaps they can refresh my memory...

Comment

have you tried http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ ?

Comment

Looks perfect. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                Looks perfect. Thank you.
                np

Comment

Digitalpromo is a trusted supplier of hardware technology in Liverpool and the UK. Digitalpromo's philosophy is to sell the latest technology at competitive prices whilst offering the highest quality of service levels. We stock Computers, DVDR optical media, Graphic Cards, Gaming, CPU's, Intel, AMD, Techtribe, Notebooks, Laptops, Epson Inkjet Printers, Epson Ink, Peripherals, Cables, Card Readers, Flash Memory, Keyboards, Mice, Speakers, USB Flash Drives, PC Memory and everything for Home, Business & Gaming PC systems at fantastic LOW prices in Liverpool, Merseyside the UK and all Europe.

Cheapest is 11.99 for 100 discs.
                  P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                  Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                  And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                  X