Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with dual monitor graphics card needed

Hello there

Long time lurker now asking for advice...

At the moment I have my old G400 in my girlfriend's machine, and am running off the built-in graphics of a Shuttle SS51G small form factor pc. However, I have two dvi-capable TFT monitors (Samsung 171Ps - one is in storage :/ ) I was going to get a Parhelia, but am baulking at the price, the problems people seem to be experiencing, and now talk of refreshes to the card.

So do I use the G400 for now, and get my girlfriend a replacement gfx card, or is there a better dual output card that will tide me over until the Parhelia problems are fixed (or the updated card is out)? It's got to be *fairly* cheap, otherwise I may as well get the P.

As an aside, I did have both of these monitors plugged in to the G400, but at their native res of 1280x1024 there was some significant shadowing of one display's output onto the other, giving a kind of watermark effect. Is 2 x 1280 res pushing the G400 too much? This is why I ask if there is a better interim dual output solution than the G400.

Thanks

Chuen.

G550 Dual DVI? Good for 2D, you didn't mention any 3D work/play.

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Thanks,

I'll have a look at that one. I won't be doing much in the way of 3d gaming - most of the time the pc will be used for web/db design, surfing and email.

Cheers

Chuen.

Comment

Eeek - £95 for the card, and £45 for the dual dvi cable. Looks like I'll be getting an ATI Expert @ Work or something for the girlfriend, and taking back my old G400. WIll have to do for now.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Comment

Yup, even G550's are still expensive.
          When u see what u can get for the price.....

PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Second hand G550 is bloody cheap though!
            About 50 quid for the card and 10 quid for the cable?
            Check eBay UK mate.
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I have the same problem with my G400. I get those nasty distortions to. Although I think I get them at 1600x1024 and 1280x1024. Everything seems fine with 1280x1024 x 2. Also, I dont think my card supports AGP2x and my card is supposed 2 support AGP4x. I would RMA my card but I am so lazy
              -----------------------------------
              WHATS A JAVA?
              -----------------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X