Motherboard Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Recommendations

I have a Athlon 800 on a motherboard with a via chipset , and having gleemed worthwhile knowledge here think it's time to upgrade.
    Finances only permit a motherboard and processor, so I'll be sticking with my reliable G400 and RR-G cards for now.
    I'll also be sticking with my 512mb PC100 SDRam.
    I would like to buy a board that's in total harmony with my matrox cards and will give the best results for video capture.
    I have a budget of around £200 ($290) so a huge, up to the minute processor is not really an option.
    The slots I need are simply five x PCI and of course one x AGP for my good old G400, so perhaps advice as to the most suitable chipset would be most helful and I'll go hunting from there.
    I'm the UK by the way.
    Many thanks,
    Will
    Last edited by Will Hay; 17 October 2002, 07:28.
    --
    The trouble with democracy is every stupid b*****d get's a vote
    --
    Windows XP, SP1
    Elite K7S5A
    AMD Athlon XP2000+
    Matrox 32mb G400 Dual Head (682.016 display package) *not* in my father-in-law's machine
    Matrox Rainbow Runner G Series Capture Card (628 display driver and vt155e video tools) *not* in a box in the study
    Primary IDE Master: IBM Deskstar 40GB GXP
    Secondary IDE Master: Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-R Burner
    Secondary IDE Slave: Lite-On 16102b (x16x10x40) Burner
    Primary IDE Slave: Toshiba 105 DVD-Rom Drive
    2 x Maxtor 80gb D740X on RAID 0
    512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
    SB Live 1024 Soundcard (driver 4.06.656)
    ADSL EA900 USB Modem
    ...........ATI Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo *not* installed in place of my trusty old G400

The only DDR board you'll find with an ISA slot will be the Biostar M7MIA and M7MIA-R based on the AMD761-VIA686B chipset combo....

Very reliable and stable board.....if you can find it now.....

Should you wish to stick with your PC100, I'd suggest you look at the Iwill KK266+, seeing as that shall also give you an ISA slot and shall give you the best implementation of the KT133A chipset.....

....ISA makes things very tough indeed....
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Hello.
      Thanks for the post.
      I've edited my original to omit the ISA requirement, I have broadband (512kb) due this week and totally forgot I won't need my modem!
      Stupid of me!
      Thanks again,
      Will
      --
      --
      Windows XP, SP1
      Elite K7S5A
      AMD Athlon XP2000+
      Matrox 32mb G400 Dual Head (682.016 display package) *not* in my father-in-law's machine
      Matrox Rainbow Runner G Series Capture Card (628 display driver and vt155e video tools) *not* in a box in the study
      512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
      ADSL EA900 USB Modem
      ...........ATI Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo *not* installed in place of my trusty old G400

Comment

Or as the ISA slot is for the modem, look at getting a cheap modem to replace it and broaden your options.

Edit Snap.

Running a sis745 chip based mobo here, runs like a dream and you can get the MSI one for about $70usd I beleive
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Is the memory unique to the motherbaord, ie can I not buy a board that would accept PC133 but use my memory and simply see the benefit of PC100?
          --
          --
          Windows XP, SP1
          Elite K7S5A
          AMD Athlon XP2000+
          512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
          ADSL EA900 USB Modem

Comment

I beleive some of the 735 chipset mobo's supported sdram. not sure though. anyone?

Really though you would be much better upgradeing the memory as well. (yup I know the tight budget problem as well)

Dan
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

The ECS K75SA with SiS735 had both DDR and SDR. You know, you could get an i815EP board with a Celeron Tualatin, fast and reliable I would say.
              All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Working...
              X