Anyone seen the movie AI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen the movie AI?

I watched it the other night....what where your thoughts on it?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

A very strange movie. It seems like a modern day Pinochio (sp?) with two endings. One done by Kubrick, one by Spielberg. It should have ended before the whole silly alien thing and it would have been a much better movie.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Wow...!!! More bouncing stuff... YEAH !

Comment

yeah the alien thing really blew my mind...i was like WTF? It was a nice ending that he finally heard his "mother" tell him that he was loved by her, but adding in the aliens through off the entire movie. What do you mean by the Kubrick ending? That the moive would have ended with him infront of the Blue Fairey at Coney Island?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbert
          Wow...!!! More bouncing stuff... YEAH !
          dang it you noticed it already...I was gonna make a seprate posting about it

Comment

I've seen it about a year ago, and my thoughts were that somewhere halfway the movie the style changes very abrubtly from Kubrick-style to Spielburg-style... much like what Jammrock says, each part is a bit of a movie on it's own. They don't fit together. It is as if, halfway the movie, you can hear Spielburg think "what on earth did Kubrick want to do with this element in the script? hmmm no idea, but I won't scrap it from the script because it's done by Kubrick. I'll just start from this point and make the movie how I would have made it if I were to write the whole script".

And you get this weird (though promising start) which ends in a(way too) sentimental end (typical Spielburg style).

Comment

If it was a true Kubrick movie that little android brat would have been stuck at the bottom of the Ocean forever. That's the 'Kubrick' ending.

Spielberg added the cheesey alien BS because he couldn't ruin his good name with a cynical ending.

Besides the ending, I thought the the movie was good. If I eer watch it again I am going to stop the movie at the bottom of the ocean.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeah.

You can pick out which scenes are Spielburg, and which are Kubrick. And if I'm not mistaken, the ENTIRE ending is new, Kubrick ended the script in front of the blue fairy, yes.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

The movie was fine until he got stuck under water for a long time, that's when it started to suck big time! Other than that it was a good movie.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

One of the joys of living in Japan is not every movie has a feelgood, cudley, tree hugging ending

So yes would have been much better if the movie had ended with him sinking in the heli-sub (or whatever it was).
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Ok I'm bored at work and was reading reviews on the movie on IMDB.com and Amazon and there was an interesting comment made by a couple people...the Aliens at the end of the movie weren't Aliens, but highly evoloved "mecha".

After thinking about it for a bit...it does make sense. In the part where they first recovered him out of the helipod and touched him and then they all started touching each other to share David's thoughts (pretty neat networking eh? ) would make more sense that they where mechanical and not an organic. Also the beings spoke very highly of Humans at one point in the movie...odd for something that if they where alien.

oh well for what its worth

Oh another thing..."Teddy" the Teddy Bear was one of the coolest elements in the movie. It would be cool to have one of those!
                      Last edited by GT98; 17 October 2002, 07:52.

Comment

i really dunno why everyone hates the ending. the whole movie is average (incl. the ending) but the ending is definetely not awful!
                        and actually i found the ending to be quite disturbing and not feel-good.
                        if they would've ended the movie when he freezes in this round sub thingy they could've as well never shown it.
                        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Its not just that its a horrible ending...that it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the movie. Like everyone else said here...its like your watching 2 different movies almost with the switch over happening at the City of Sin they went too...

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                            i really dunno why everyone hates the ending. the whole movie is average (incl. the ending) but the ending is definetely not awful!
                            and actually i found the ending to be quite disturbing and not feel-good.
                            if they would've ended the movie when he freezes in this round sub thingy they could've as well never shown it.
                            It seemed like Stanley Kubrick was on some sort of drug when he wrote the ending and he was the only one tripping. I found that he let his imagination go a little too far. He already made his point when the kid sinks in the heli-sub, I don't know why he had to continue the movie beyond that, it just didn't make sense with the rest of the movie. Well it did but it still would have been better without the crap after the heli-sub sinking.
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro

It seemed like Stanley Kubrick was on some sort of drug when he wrote the ending and he was the only one tripping. I found that he let his imagination go a little too far. He already made his point when the kid sinks in the heli-sub, I don't know why he had to continue the movie beyond that, it just didn't make sense with the rest of the movie. Well it did but it still would have been better without the crap after the heli-sub sinking.
                              I dont think the movie plot was anywhere near being finished before he Passed away and Spielburg it over at Kubrick's Wifes request. Thats why it seems so disjoined and why there seems to be two different styles of movie making going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X