Mushkin PC3200 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushkin PC3200 Question

Hey, quick question for any memory experts out there. I purchased a 512 meg PC3200 Mushkin stick of RAM for my new motherboard because Soyo recommended it as the type of memory to use if I wanted to run DDR400. Anyways all seemed well up until the Need For speed Hot Pursuit 2 demo came out, and I noticed corrupted sky textures. It wasn't the video card as I had originally expected, but it turned out to be my system ram clocked at 400 {even though no other games displayed any issues, which I found extremely odd}. Now my question is, this memory is rated at PC3200, 2.5-3-3, what timings would be used if I were to run the memory at PC2700 {333}? I'm currently running 'turbo timings' which result in 2-2-2 1t, seemed stable but didnt really have a chance to thoroughly test last night.

Thanks for your help,

Mike
    Shuttle SN45G, 2 x 256 Megs of Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 DDR Ram, 120 Gig Western Digital SE HD, 16x48x Liteon DVD-CDR Combo Drive, 128 Meg Retail Parhelia, nForce Soundstorm, Klipsch Promedia GMX

Even if your mem handles those settings just fine, todays motherboards have bit shaky DDR400 support. Could be your MB. Try lowering the latencies, but keep it running in CAS2 mode.

Comment

Yeah... I just assumed using the memory Soyo recommended for the board would be a trouble free solution, it seems faster at 333 anyways with the timings maxed out. I just hope it remains stable with Cas2 etc.

Thanks

Mike
      Shuttle SN45G, 2 x 256 Megs of Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 DDR Ram, 120 Gig Western Digital SE HD, 16x48x Liteon DVD-CDR Combo Drive, 128 Meg Retail Parhelia, nForce Soundstorm, Klipsch Promedia GMX

Comment

Yeah, the current 400MHz memory controlers are a little sketchy...
        If you run slower like at 333, then you should be able to crank the timings to max without any problem, since the lower clock speed buys you the extra margin to tighten up the other timings.

Comment

Thanks Rylan, odd thing is it seems like my system is quite a bit quicker with these better timings at 333 rather than the slower timings at 400. I wonder if its the controller on the board, or the memory itself? Id be willing to return the memory for another stick if that's all it is, but I kinda doubt its the memory. Just really odd to me that its one game.

Mike

Comment

I've seen a few tests that show the same results.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I can certainly believe you getting better performance at 333 over 400. I wouldn't be surprised if the memory controler is unable to run fully stable at 400, and has extra cycles added that you won't know about to prevent crashes.

Comment

Thanks Rylan, makes perfect sense now that I think of it that way Still seems good at 333 with max timings, hopefully it'll continue to be stable. Just a bit disappointed in the Soyo Marketing hype...

Mike

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately its all hyped up to be like 'Oh lookie, we've got 400MHz memory support' but it doesn't work totally right. The memory controler chip design isn't quite there yet, and I kinda doubt that motherboard design is really there yet also. Its not just Soyo.. from what I hear its all the motheboards so far.

Comment

Working...
                  X