Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoying the Silence!!

Enjoying the Silence!!

I have modded the Poseidon radiator to use a Zalman 92mm 40cfm, 20dBa fan instead of the Zalman 80mm 36.5CFM, 34.2dBa fan I was using (the original sounded more and performed worse ).
    At 20dB it is almost inaudible compared to the fan in the PSU….

At firs when I had it directly against the radiator it performed worse….
    But then I added a “gutted fan” in-between and the performance is 3-4 degrees down

If I’m lucky I’ll get the Black Ice II and the Papst fans this week

The only noise from the computer nowadays is the HDD’s, dvd and the Burner!

Not that I hear them over Winamp or games
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I was going to say, I dont hear anything from my PC, over Winamp...
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

My PC sound like the beginning stages of a 747 engine starting up! Gotta love the purr.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

As one of my friends told me after hearing the roar of my fans (3 years ago) 3 55cfm 40db fans...

Why don't you just add the theme from airwolf to make the experience complete?
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

yeah silent PCs are very nice to use!
          I've been trying to make my system more and more silent over years, and atm there are only 3 fans in it: the CPU fan (came with the Zalman 6000 kit, set at lowest speed), the PSU fan (default 300 Watts PSU in my In-Win Q500 which I modded to use a Papst fan at 7 Volts) and a fan in my Plexwriter... which is the most annoying one at the moment. I'll try to make a circuitry that will switch the fan in the plexwriter on only when it's burning (shouldn't be too difficult with those leds lighting up in the front of the drive when burning.. those will be used to trigger it).

I've also ordered a Barracuda 36ES2 which should be a tad more quiet than my current ATA IV (though not as quiet as the Barracuda ATA V)... but it comes with the firmware/interface tuned for multi-tasking performance.. which is exactly what I like about SCSI.

In the future I'll try to get a 300 Watts passive convection PSU from these guys (when they're in full production):
          http://www.rsg-electronic.de (check the 'new products' section).

Right now the PC is very quiet: i.e. I can hear the seeks of the Barracuda ATA IV quite clear above the sound level of the fans.

and after I get a passive convection PSU for my HTPC I'll try to get passive convection cooling on the CPU as well, with a Zalman 3000 kit and a Celeron-2 566 with the voltage lowered below default VCC.

btw. check this site: http://home.swipnet.se/tr/silence.html
          Last edited by dZeus; 15 October 2002, 11:58.

Comment

silence = good
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Bah! It is comforting to hear the roar of your pc...
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                btw. check this site: http://home.swipnet.se/tr/silence.html
                They seem a little fanatic

Comment

does that mean that all the links/tips on the site are any less usefull?

Comment

Chill out
                    I did not condemn the site...

Thia is what I said:

Originally posted by Technoid They seem a little fanatic
                    Not:

that site is full of raving fanatic silence maniacs

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid

that site is full of raving fanatic silence maniacs
                      But they are!

anyway, that's not relevant?

Comment

Anyway, the Black Ice II has arrived and its BIG!!

Its about 4-5 times as big as the radiator I got now.

I won't have the chance to test it untill friday

At least I wont have to leave the computer off during the hottest days next summer

Comment

hmm i like those fanatics
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

This is a nice site for silent computing:

Silent PC Review THOUGHT LEADERS IN EFFICIENT, SILENT, STATE OF THE ART COMPUTERS SINCE 2002 Latest PC Posts News By Charlie Noon January 20, 2023 Components By Shaun Conroy January 19, 2023 PSU Buyer’s Guide By Shaun Conroy January 19, 2023 Gaming Monitor Buyer’s Guide By Charlie Noon January 18, 2023 Gaming Monitor Buyer’s Guide
                            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                              Bah! It is comforting to hear the roar of your pc...
                              Finally someone who agrees with my views!
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                              X