Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE save as BMP ?????

Bit of a wierd one here.

A few days ago IE6 decided that when I right-click a picture to save it the only file format in the list is BMP.

Normally I just right-click save as and either save the jpg or gif as it is, no longer though, always a bmp file

Anyone any ideas as to how to stop ths happening as it is complete pain in the arse as I save a lot of images from the web (legitimate, check my website)

Checked out the knowledge base, normal urls, nothing with username and password and temp internet not full only 800MB and set at 2500MB limit, although that is quite a bit. lol

I've seen this too, can't say I've ever figured it out.

I'm hoping someone has though!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I've had this as well, before IE6 though. Seemed like a virus to me, format and reinstall fixed it

What happens if you drag the image onto the desktop? And I think I also used to save the entire webpage - IE put the files into the page_files folder as their correct format.

P.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

No virus here.

Upto date and just run a scan. I will give the drag and drop a go.

Saving the webpage is still a bit of arse if you need a lot of images, cheers though. Definately a freaky problem.

Comment

Err...

It happens to us all. Sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes it doesn't (and hell if I know what DOES at that point, short of a reinstall).

I used to think it was related to the IE memory leak bug (which is STILL THERE, DAMMIT, AND HAS BEEN SINCE IE3!) which manifests itself when you do rightclick->saveas on a lot of images... but it isn't.

NO idea what causes it.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

There is one good thing about this.

Found something even the might Murc cannot answer, gotta be rare.

Always thought ever question could be answered here. lol

Comment

Been there too... Seems there is no solution, only "workarounds":
              Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Comment

Sure is freaky, just noticed that it is also happening in OE6. Not that it is a problem there though. Definately seems on and off though, email currently causing a problem but IE seems to be ok, at the moment.

I love this workaround from the kb
                "You can also save the file in .bmp format, and then use a graphics editor to convert the file to the desired file format."

Comment

Yeah, ever noticed how much bigger a JPEG will be after that? All it's discrete cosine transforms and quantisation doesn't work well on a JPEG At least not when I use Photoshop. Wonder if there's a way to save a bitmapped JPEG as the original JPEG...

Too late to even think about sense-making the above statement...aaaah, the eyes, the eyes

P.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Just checked it out with the latest image I have to add to my site.

BMP'd JPG 5MB when original jpg was only 400kb. When resaved in PSP as a jpg again back to the same size but I don't think my artists are to keen on me resaving their image twice.

They spend weeks working on a masterpeice and because of some IE bug I go and re compress their picture twice more.
                    Last edited by dbdg; 16 October 2002, 16:18.

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg

Saving the webpage is still a bit of arse if you need a lot of images, cheers though. Definately a freaky problem.
                      Isn't there an option to save a file with images ?

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Strange, I'm not stuck with bmp, but with jpeg! On all jpg's I try to download IE suggest the .jpeg extension, but in the type windows it say jpg file though

Annoying as hell

edit 17-10-2002

Don't actually know if hell is annoying so I'll correct the phrase to :

Annoying as politicians
                        My system:
                        | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
                        homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Saving the page doesn't seem to work any more. I tried to save a web page yesterday and it locked my computer, had to hard reset. I retried a few times and it did it each time.

I only say it a pain VJ as I have loads of seperate pages to get images from and when you save you get the file name and a folder. Doing it around ten times would get really annoying having to delete all the crap afterwards, plus it doesn't seem to work anymore.

At the moment I am just pasting the urls into CuteFTp Pro.

Comment

Have you've tried any download accelerator such as FlashGet?

I use it to download lots of images from Manga sites.
                            Just rightclick, Download All with Flashget.
                            Then you'll get a list of the files on the page and you'll be able to filter them based on extensions.
                            <font size="-4">User error:
                            Replace user and try again.
                            System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                            System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                            </font>

Comment

CuteFTP Pro worls fine plus I use it for everything else, it's just a pain that you even have to resort to another method when you can view the jpg on screen.!!

Comment

Working...
                              X