Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best DVI quality card

Hello
    I am building a pc for a friend. He basically just wants awsome picture quality for photshop,etc...
    I bought him a 19in samsun LCD. So i assuming the best picture quality for the monitor would be a graphics card with DVI on it.
    What cards have the best DVI. Does the G550 have the best DVI quality, or does the G450 have just as good? Or, should i go for like a ati 8500 with dvi. Is the quality of all DVI cards the same?
    since it is a digital signal. Price is a concern, but not a huge one. yes the parhelia is too expensive for my budget.

Thanks
    AC

Parhelia is too much, but a 19" LCD isn't?... especially with it's 6 bit color output...
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

yes the 19in was expensive, but i got a good deal on it.
      No 3d games be played on the computer, so no need for the parhelia at all. Just good DVI at 1280x1024 (max of LCD).

Would the matrox g550 or g450 offer anything that other companies cards do not offer, dealing with DVI quality?

thanks
      ac

Comment

Is it too late to take the LCD back? I think it was a mistake.

If you're going to do photo editing, 1280x1024 is an ungodly low resolution for it. Something like an F500 running at 1600x1200 is minimal.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

1280x1024 isn't even 4:3 aspect ratio so that gets chopped down to 1280x 960 res so nothing looks vertically squished. Wombat's correct, that's a very low res for image editing... like absolute bare minimum
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yes, DVI is usually digital, so there won't be any differance between cards unless somehting is really screwed up with the output design.. in which case it wouldn't work right anyway.
            But yeah, if you've got a LCD you should definatley be driving it with DVI digital input.. running analog to an LCD is kinda crappy.

Comment

so all graphics cards that have DVI out, have the same DVI quality?

hmmm about the LCD screen. I could send it back. THe friend really wanted a LCD due to it not flickering at all. Since he looks at a computer Monitor all day. I will email him, and make sure thats what he really wants.

Comment

Matrox cards still have the best image quality, just that going with DVI eliminates the analog output that's icky on most any other consumer card

Comment

Only a very small percentage of people see flickering at 85Hz. He could still 100Hz with 1280x1024 (or x960) or better with any prosumer 21" CRT.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The thing is, do not think he will be doing any profesional type photoshop work. He is pretty much a full on amatuer. i do not believe he will know the difference in resolution. I could be wrong, but pretty sure. Thanks for the constructive critisism though.

AC

Comment

LCDs just aren't the way to go for photo editing, yet. The higher resolutions (and large) ones are thousands of dollars, and they don't have very deep color depth yet.

They are pretty nice for most other office work, though. And the space and weight savings are a nice bonus. If you can return the LCD, then ask your friend which way he wants do go with this.

Comment

would a matrox card with 32meg of ram be just as good as a ATI card with 128meg of ram? Does the amount of ram, matter in photoshop?

thanks
                        AC

Comment

Sys ram, yes. Video ram no.

Comment

Surely 32MB is enough for every 2d framebuffer right? it's the gpu that counts...

Comment

novid: so your saying the ATI 128m is the way to go?

Comment

Working...
                              X