• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mainboard?

I am planning to upgrade my mainboard
    p2b, please need an advice what chipsets/mb
    do i need for video editing. I am looking
    for dual processor/msi694/via chips or stay
    with bx board? any conflict with via chips?
    does rt2000 works well on what mb? does
    rt2000/dv500 support dual processor?

please help

As far as I know neither the RT-2000 or DV500 supports dualies.

The BX mainboard that has been the most recommended for the RT-2000 is the Asus P3B-F. This is the one I use with my RT-2000 and they play very nicely together. The P3B-F shares IRQ's well, has very good PCI bus performance and is quite stable as long as the power supply is also up to snuff. All of these are essential with the RT-2000.

The problem with the VIA chipped boards is that they seem to have reduced PCI performance relative to the BX boards. Then there are the legendary problems Intel is having with their PC-133 and RAMBUS boards. These problems go beyond the recalls.

Example: of the VIA PC133 and Intel dual channel RAMBUS boards tested by Anandtech and Toms Hardware none could surpass the performance of a P3B-F equipped with PC133 memory. Sad but true....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

thanks,

Since(rt2000/dv500) both support dual cpu. a ny big advantage going to a dual processor?

harry

Comment

I can also vouch for the P3B-F. Never had any problems with the RT on that.

I also tried it on my P2B-F and same results.

At work, I received one of those 820 replacement mobo's with 64m rambus and it is plain horrible. Darn thing will crash as soon as any screen savor starts up and also crashes every 2 hours even when there is no screen savor running.

PS: I think Doc mentioned that these cards DON'T support dualies

Haig

Comment

Haig,

Maybe you should get hold of one of these Asus CUSL2 boards, so far it is looking surprisingly good

The are couple of issues (max 64MB AGP aperture, and the KB power up doesn't work), but that's not too bad for a mobo, which is fresh out of the oven, and all the slots filled already

The P2B/P3B boards are still the best choice for anyone looking for rock solid, compatible and fast mobos, but maybe in six months...

Pertti

[This message has been edited by Pertti (edited 22 July 2000).]

Comment

Personally I think Intel needs to take a step back and really look at the situation.

They don't have a chipset that can match the BX in performance or reliability. All they have managed to do is come up with inferior chipsets with extra features like PC-133, RAMBUS, AGP4x and a bushel basket full of bugs. This just won't do.

I think it's time for Intel to punt and simply come out with a BX-2 that overtly supports PC-133 with proper AGP multipliers (the necessary PCI multiplier is already there) and AGP4x, if possible.

Then they can take RAMBUS and shove it up their buster brown as far as I'm concerned.

If they don't do something like this soon and the upcoming AMD 760 chipset for the TBird lives up to expectations Intel is going to be in a world of hurt.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 22 July 2000).]

Comment

Hi Pertti,

we got that on order along with the new Abit mobos.

Regards

Haig

Comment

Harry

Steer away from Via chipsets with PIII. I had the opportunity to make a direct comparison with BX and the latter was 50% faster at data transfer.

------------------
                Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                X