No announcement yet.

How to keep your PC secure from attack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep your PC secure from attack?

Lizzie's plight got me somewhat concerned,

I thought we were protected by a hardware router/firewall ie a NAT firewall, but when we ran testmysecurity.com through it, it said we we were potentially at risk from trojan attack.

Does our router need some work or should we get a software firewall in as well?

Dave
    Don't make me angry...

http://www.testmysecurity.com tells everyone they are ptentionally at risk so that they can sell their software firewall to them

better basic tests (that won't sell you anything) are here:

See how fast and reliable your internet connection is by using DSLReports tools to speed test, ping test and monitor. Read news, information and join our community
    Last edited by thop; 12 October 2002, 14:59.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
      http://www.testmysecurity.com tells everyone they are ptentionally at risk so that they can sell their software firewall to them

for a basic test (that wont sell you anything) try: http://www.dslreports.com/scan
      At dslreports with ZoneAlarm my system seems to be secure, plus I've not had any problems with it so far.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

http://www.testmysecurity.com/index.php report fotr my comp (W2k AS no firewall!
        ) :

Information that has leaked
        from your machine:
        Machine Information:

ERROR: Connecting to host...

User List:

ERROR: Connecting to host...
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Apart from the obvious use of a firewall ( I use Zonealarm myself) and keeping up to date with OS patches etc, its always a wise idea to run a background virus checker just in case.

One thing I used to do was run NetMedic all the time, which gave you a realtime display graph of network traffic going into and outof your connection.
          The idea being, if you arent actively uploading something to the internet but Netmedic says your connection is running flat out upstream, its time to ask some questions.
          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I was also wondering if a hardware router/firewall was the way to go? Was thinking of getting a SMC7004ABR Barricade Router Firewall.

Oboy
            Time to make the wafers!
            Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
            jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Trojan attacks come from inside your LAN: you execute a file with the trojan or virus within it and it reaches OUT; hence the term, Trojan, as in the Trojan Horse of Troy.

Quite a few software firewalls can be fooled or neutralized by Trojans, and an ounce of protection is far better than a metric ton of cure.

My solution? Scan everything you download before you open it, make sure you have an up-to-date virus scanner running in conjunction with your email client, and you'll be hard pressed to "catch" anything. Oh, you'll still keep getting them, they'll just keep getting zapped before they take your system into the toilet, if you do your part.

I work on other people's computers as a side job. Virii make me a good deal of money; and it nearly always is the same refrain: "Gee, you mean you have buy a new virus program every year, and then keep it up to date?"

"Yes, you do."

Then they get the bill.

I charge $38.00USD/Hour and it's a bargain.

Most computer shops around here charge $50-60USD/Hr for the same work. Most of the time I can do it faster due to my method, too...not always though...and I always work slower for "repeat" customers.

This is generally how I finance my Computer habit.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Conclusion: Healthy Setup! We could detect nothing interesting on any of the default ports on your IP address. Your computer appears to be a hard target. Well done!
                ALL TCP FILTERED

No response (open or closed) to an open request was received.
                ALL UDP FILTERED

No response (open or closed) to an open request was received.

Get a Linksys Mark...

Paul
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

With the newest Zonealarm I got the big thumbs up from all 3 testing sites mentioned above.
                  "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Originally posted by CHHAS
                    With the newest Zonealarm I got the big thumbs up from all 3 testing sites mentioned above.
                    is that the free or pro version?

Comment

The free one.
                      "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

What about winXP buil-in firewall?

Comment

I don't use a firewall or an antivirus
                          And I am online 24/7
                          Never got a virus never got hacked.

Actually I did get a virus more than 10 years ago but I was just a kid After that I got somewhat paranoid and don't open anything I don't know where it comes from.

Comment

OK, thanks for those other sites, I'll check them out.

Dave
                            Don't make me angry...

Comment

DSLreports gives my setup the all clear. Only using the firewall in my router as well. Considering most of us only need to worry about script kiddies, not bad.
                              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X