• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Radio on the Way!

It's aboot damn time!

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

It's already here, I forget the name but it's not that company.

There's commercials on TV for it. And you can get adapters for you existing deck.

Seems pretty sweet though.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
      It's already here, I forget the name but it's not that company.

There's commercials on TV for it. And you can get adapters for you existing deck.

Seems pretty sweet though.
      XM and Sroious (sp) offer this...I'm guessing they'll be dead in the water shortly
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

It's already here in Belgium (and some other countries). The standard is called DAB (Digital Audio Broadcast), and the national stations are supposed to be transmitting in this digital form as well. I also believe BBC is transmitting in DAB.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

That's Sirius digital satellite radio Jammy

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GT98

XM and Sroious (sp) offer this...I'm guessing they'll be dead in the water shortly
            I wonder why Pontiac is installing Xm decks in their new sunfire's if it's going down?

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro

I wonder why Pontiac is installing Xm decks in their new sunfire's if it's going down?
              Well what I ment is that both XM and Sirius Radio lost their biggest edge that they had going...being able to offer digital radio to the masses. Now that anyone can do it well makes it a whole lot harder to get a market. Sirius was already in trouble before this. I'm not sure if theres that huge of a market for someone to pay $10 a month to be able to hear same radio station through out the entire USA/Canada. I'm quite happy with my Free FM stations I get and I really dont go futher then 2-6 hours from where I live in my car....if its futher then that its more cost effective to fly when factoring in time etc....

Comment

The main benefit to the satellite radio is that all the stations aren't controlled by one company, the music isn't filtered, and there are no ads....I would pay for that if I wasn't a student at this time....
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Well from what I've heard about XM is that yes there is stations with out adveristing but the majority of them do still have adveristing on them. Unfiltered radio (i.ei Cussing taking out) is an good idea, but goes back to free vs. $10 bucks a month. And yeah it does suck that Clearview Radio controls 80% of the Radio stations out there...Blame Bill Clinton for that one

Most of my info is second hand so feel free to pull apart as needed

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                    That's Sirius digital satellite radio Jammy

http://www.siriusradio.com/
                    Ah...nope...different thing. XM and Sirrus are satellite radio broadcasts that cost $$$ to use and can be picked up all across the country. Digital radio as stated in this article are for local stations. This means that you can listen to you Metallica or Brahms in glorious CD quality from your local favorite stations.

Unfortunately, this also means you get to listen to commercials in glorious CD quality audio...ick...

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                      Ah...nope...different thing. XM and Sirrus are satellite radio broadcasts that cost $$$ to use and can be picked up all across the country. Digital radio as stated in this article are for local stations. This means that you can listen to you Metallica or Brahms in glorious CD quality from your local favorite stations.

Unfortunately, this also means you get to listen to commercials in glorious CD quality audio...ick...

Jammrock
                      I wouldn't be suprised that the RIAA wouldn't want to put a stop to this since people could conviviablitly copy whats on the radio station and rip it into a MP3 or what not and not worry about any form of Copy protection like what is on a CD

Comment

We've had digital radio in the UK for a couple of years now I think. But I only listen to Radio 4 on FM anyway, so don't really know/care... I think the sets are pretty standard in new cars.

gnep
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I just plain old don't listen to the radio, I make mp3 cd's or just buy a new cd after a while cause the radio here really overplays the songs. Any song by Avril Lavigne is played 10 to 12 times in a day, bleh. She's got a hot voice and she's cute but I'm sick of her music. And I don't like Nelly that much, and Eminem is getting is also getting old.

Comment

Working...
                          X