Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVI file size??

Okay, once more and hopefully for the last time:

What are the AVI file size limits for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000?

Assume FAT 32.

Is the AVI file size limit in Win 98 4 gig or isn't it? If it is, why can't I get past 2 gig?

I'm So Confused!!!

Thanx all

Kevin

P.S. Marvel G200 going back to factory for replacement. Matrox so far very cooperative in this respect.

Win95: Can not use FAT32.

Win95 OSR2: Can use FAT32. .AVI limit = 2 gigs because of a limit hard-wired into Video-for-Windows. This limit remained in place until VfW was replaced by ActiveMovie.

Win98/Win98SE: Can use FAT32. .AVI limit now = 4 gigs, but most software only supports 2 gigs. The use of 4 gig files requires the software to support OpenDML. Most software doesn't.

Windows2000: Can use FAT32. .AVI limit = 4 gigs, but most software only supports 2 gigs. Again the software must support OpenDML to use the 4 gig file sizes. Most software doesn't.

Windows2000: Can also use NTFS. NTFS supports almost unlimited file sizes, but again only if the software supports OpenDML. You know what goes here

Unfortunately the Win2000 drivers for the Marvel and RR-G are not yet up to release standard, so using them in this OS can be problematic.

Adobe Premiere: does not support OpenDML.

Ulead MSPro 5.x and before: do not support OpenDML.

Ulead MSPro6: does support OpenDML.

When using MSPro6 with a Marvel or RR-G some changes have to be made to make use of its OpenDML support. This is because the Marvels cutlist driver, MCLPlugin.dll, does not support OpenDML. This makes it necessary to disable this driver in the c:\windows\ulead32.ini file.

To do this load the ulead32.ini file into notepad and look for this section;

[Playback]

Now put a semicolon, ";", in front of the line that references MCLPlugin.dll;

[Playback]

;PlayDll5=C:\PROGRA~1\MATROX~1\MCLPlugin.dll

The actual command may be PlayDll5 or some other number, but only one line will reference the MCLPlugin.dll file. With the MCLPlugin.dll disabled the built-in cutlist support in MSPro6 takes over.

Using the Marvel/RR-G MSPro6 "fixes" on Uleads site will DISABLE OpenDML support, limiting you to 2 gigs.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 22 July 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Going to print this out and post it somewhere prominent so I can keep it straight.

Kevin

Comment

Quick clarification:
        *SOME* non-OpenDML programs can read .AVIs up to 4GB. The 4/2 gb limits in .AVIs are related to the structure of the AVI which is broken up into small chunks. The problem lies in that the size of the chunks are designated by a 32-bit value at the start of it. Unfortunatly, most programs read the 32-bit value in as a signed 32 bit value, meaning it only really has 31 bits to designate the file size, and 2 ^ 31 = approximatly 2 billion. Some programs (such as AVI_IO) will treat the values as full-fledged 32 bit unsigned values, and thus they can handle 4 gb AVI files. OpenDML gets around this by having multiple chunks in the file each one up to 2 gb in size. Fortunatly, programs that use DirectShow don't see the splitting into chunks and just see it as a contiguous file regardless of how many chunks it has.

Comment

Doc,

Succinct explanation. Remind me to talk to you in the week about this (if we get online at the same time) so that we can update the FAQs at Desktopvideoworld.com. I don't currently have FP installed on my "week" machine, and there's no chance of updating over the weekend with all the family stuff I have to catch up on - I'll try and get something sorted out this week, otherwise you have access to the site for updates.

Comment

Lets do that. I'll make it a point to keep ICQ running. CU there.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X