Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New OS, Old Soft

Hi Folks,

With the Parhellia in Mind and to finally use more than 512MB of RAM I bought Win2K Pro (XP was out of the question - not only because of its registration policy but also was the price for XP Pro and W2kPro the same and to all what I heard is 2k the more stable one)

So now my Questions:
    1st) what Links are a good choice to gather information about setting up win2k...

2nd) Is there any way to install the old cinemaster DVD Player that was bundled with the G400? The Player that came along with my G450 can be installed - but in the past I used it only as a codec Update for the older Player - because I really loved the old Interface (the one that installed its setup into the control pannel) and was dissapointed by the newer one (for example the language dialog of the old player showed the actual audiotracks of an insterted DVD, the newer one was always showing a complete list of languages and even if you selected US, or whatsoever the DVDs always started in German and the only way to change that was though the DVDs own menu - at least that was my experience)...

Thanks,
    SHAnDRA
    Last edited by Shandra; 11 October 2002, 06:29.

Hi, Shandra,

dunno about 2) but for 1) you can check this site: http://www.windows-tweaks.info/html/windows2000.html

Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

I couldn't get that Cinemaster to work with mine.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido
        ...for 1) you can check this site: http://www.windows-tweaks.info/html/windows2000.html
        I don't suppose anyone knows of a site like this in English? It looks like it'll be useful to me in future (I'll no doubt have to 'upgrade' to 2K sometime), but I know maybe six words of German...
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

...which six?
          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
          Who cares?

Comment

None of them are rude, if that's what you're asking...
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

you're a pastry?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ich bin ein Frankfurter

Ich bin ein Hamburger

any more?
                1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
                  ...which six?
                  "For you Tommy, zer var iss over."
                  Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Smile

Hi Folks,

In this case it is lucky Shandra who, as a german, can be thankfull for the link ;-)
                    And thanks god, it is a link with information - hope helpfull information But it would be the first time that an answer here at MURC would have let me down ;^)
                    So be warned - more questions to come
                    But 1st I am checking the linked information....
                    (Hope there is an answer to such things as: what is the NT/2K equivalent for [386enh] ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1 )

Oops and by the way: what is the 5. & 6. word in "I am a XXXXYYY" - or is this just the usual I am a <****> <****> XXXYYY %-)

CU,
                    SHAnDRA

Comment

GRMPF

.... and sooner as I thought I am back.... this was the 2nd time W2K has just, without my notice closed my DialUp Connection while I was editing/writing my post/reply..... Does it really has some kind of timeout for such a connection? And how could I disable it???? Wouldn't be good to be disconnected all the time while I am either reading an article, or posting stuff......

---big sigh---
                      Ok, it has taken me about 3-5 years to get into Win9X.... so I am prepared to went through all the little and big bugs/features/tweaks, etc. again.... but to just close a connection and no pop-up or whatsoever to tell me that it just has shut down.... grmpf.....

SHAnDRA

Comment

Well, a few thoughts.

1. Use a modern DVD player soft that supports Matrox hardware, not the old Cinemaster.

2. You were lied to. For modern hardware, XP is more stable and faster than Win2k. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar, an idiot, or both.

3. As for "tips" on setting up Win2k, it's relatively straightforward. Install Win2k, install SP3, install drivers... *shrug*

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Agree with Gurm on 1 and 3. Not sure about 2 - no experience with XP.
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Xp is a lot better for sp1 which stopped behaving like a peice of dog pooh for me and yes it was on a clean install.
                            XP is still more twitchy than Win2k which I still feel was the best OS released by Microshaft.
                            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                              I don't suppose anyone knows of a site like this in English? It looks like it'll be useful to me in future (I'll no doubt have to 'upgrade' to 2K sometime), but I know maybe six words of German...
                              hmm, you can always try it with Google's translation, maybe it is understandable:

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Rakido
                              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Working...
                              X