Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abit bp6 / g400max / rrg

Hi all,

I have been looking back in the archives for a cure to my problem. It is quite common apparently with this system for the extra settings disappear and the tuner not to work. It shows up as a digital flat panel and never has the same settings twice. Static is produced from the speakers, tv video defaults to secam instead of ntsc.

Sound familar to anyone. I gather from reading the posts the culprit is the power supply. If anyone can confirm this or has had this problem and solved it please share. If it was the power supply can you tell me what brand and specs it was replaced with.

Thanks ,

Dave D

Dave D: I used to use a G200/RRG combination with my BP6, and I originally experienced simular problems (most of the time the RRG was not recognized at all). Replacing the 250 watt power supply I got with my case with a non-name 300 watt suppoly did the trick. If you have a good relationship with a computer shop, see if you can "try out" a few power supplies until you find one that feeds the BP6 voltage "clean" enough for it. It's not neccesarily an issue of how much wattage it can supply, but how stable the power supply is. Best of luck!

Comment

Thanks Ant,

I am checking into the possiblity that the power supply may need to be pci 2.01 compliant which puts out .75a instead of .05a. The Bp6 is a pci 2.01 compliant board.

Comment

you need 0.5A at -5V and -12V rails. You can read this offa your power supply thingy.

good luck

coolfish

Comment

Thats what I got but it no worky. Its an enlight 300 watt with the specs you said.
          I'm going to try a different one here soon.

Comment

Still no word from Abit.

DaveD - _EVERY_ symptom you describe is _IDENTICAL_ to my problem.

I really don't know what I did to get the card working. I've tried to retrace my steps time and time again, to no avail. All I can say is that I am not using the HPT controller or the IDE channels, but I don't really think this is the culprit.

When I was experiencing the same problems as yourself, I lent the card to another G400/BP6 user to test the RRG in his box. While the card was lent out, the latest BIOS appeared from Matrox and I upgraded to the new BIOS (on my G400). The card was returned a week or so later (it did NOT function in his BP6 system either, same symptoms). When the card was returned, I thought I would give it one last shot before I send it for RMA (already had the RMA #). Low-and-behold, it has worked ever since.

There is definitely a common ground here: You system, my friend's system, and my system share some similar traits:

_all_ are BP6's with 2x366@550
            _all_ have SBLive!'s
            _all_ have G400's
            _all_ have Enlight cases with 300/400W P/S.

The ONLY system that works is my system, and I am NOT using any of the onboard IDE channels. My friend's system and your system the IDE channels are in use.

This is not scientific proof by any means, but it's really the only difference between our systems.

Comment

Hi Axatax,

I have my rr/g in my bx6r2 system coupled up with a g200 and it has been working well for a few days now.

Did you at anytime switch power supplies? The bx6 is also using a enlight 250w supply however I am certain that the problem lies with the bp6 board and have a hunch that it has something to do with the fact that it is 2.01 compliant. I just have not found much out about exactly what 2.01 is. I did find this note at this link- http://stores.yahoo.com/jinco/atxpowsup.html

PLEASE NOTE that some Pentium II LX/BX/GX motherboards require or recommend the new ATX 2.01 compliant power supply. Check with the motherboard vendor/manufacturer to see if you need such an upgrade on your order (upg. is $5). To be an ATX 2.01 compliant power supply, the +5sb voltage on the power supply must be 0.72Amp or higher.

This makes me think I might have confirmed why when others changed there power supply it works. Do you have anyway of comfirming this with your contacts at abit-usa?

I'll keep you posted. I am not sure when I will get the new ps.

Dave

Comment

I have a BP6 with a RRG and live and G400. I experienced the same problems as you. Changed my power supply for an antec 300W (plenty powerful) No go. Rmaed both cards, still no go. I get no sound and video source is detected as secam (its really ntsc)

This RRG is the worst hardware I have ever owned. Even when it did work (after I take out the card and reseat it, after I unplug the power supply with the monitor on, I get a spark, then the tuner will work upon start up, the quakity in the low channels was very bad, and I had ripples on two of my favorite channels. A POS, I have all but given up. If you can get it to work on your systems (which seem identical to mine), please drop me a line...

Comment

I have a BP6 with a RRG and live and G400. I experienced the same problems as you. Changed my power supply for an antec 300W (plenty powerful) No go. Rmaed both cards, still no go. I get no sound and video source is detected as secam (its really ntsc)

This RRG is the worst hardware I have ever owned. Even when it did work (after I take out the card and reseat it, after I unplug the power supply with the monitor on, I get a spark, then the tuner will work upon start up, the quakity in the low channels was very bad, and I had ripples on two of my favorite channels. A POS, I have all but given up. If you can get it to work on your systems (which seem identical to mine), please drop me a line...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X