Managers that don't manage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managers that don't manage

A year of talk and more talk and nothing has been done. This chap has retired and his job needs to be spread across the department/departments and none of the managers have arranged anything.
    Of course I'm left holding the job together while they go one more talking. Jeez if this wasn't a University it would have gone bust ages ago.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Sounds like my company, except when action is finally taken it's WAY too late.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Well in a University when they mess up in a big way no heads roll. The person whos stuffed up gets promoted and moved to another department. Now if he's/she's an idiot shes got a long life of promotion ahead of them.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        Now if he's/she's an idiot shes got a long life of promotion ahead of them.
        Hey! I can be an idiot!!!!

D'uh? D'uh?

See!!! Now where's that promotion?

Seriously, I hate it when things are that way.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

lol...... kind of what is happening here at uni.... only we decided to fight the curption and the "mafia" as we call the bad ppl here... and so far we are wining ... we will soon find out if we got an absolute victory..... and belive me heads DO roll at a uni
          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Damn it one of them has come up with a good idea. So Obivous you couldn't see the forest for the trees.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

heads do roll at universities... when the secretaries complain about how slow their computer or internet access is...

i am so sick of the politics invovled in schools. in my high school several of the best staff quit because of the politics and various people... in college, there are several places where if the students didn't do all the work (and have a brain) nothing would ever get done...

take for instance the software store on campus... due to politics, there is a mandatory 36% (iirc, it probably is much higher, probably 40% or more) markup thats required by the school... and then the store has to mark things up themselves... between that and their distributors, they sell educational copies of Windows for $50 more than the retail equivilent and D-Link network cards are $50-$60 USD. and to boot the whole thing is pretty much run by either a junior or a senior working towards a business major....

and then their is the internet access here... we have a 120Mbp/sec pipe to the internet... yet, i have never seen more than an 80k/second download sustained off campus from the dorms... often times downloads are in the 10k/sec range... yet a computer 5 minutes away on foot (on campus) can do the same download from the same site at 300K/sec... its one thing to traffic shape the network... its another things to traffic shape the network to make it almost unusable for anything other than light web surfing...

bleh, enough of my bitching....
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                heads do roll at universities... when the secretaries complain about how slow their computer or internet access is...

Thats because most secretaries are thick and either don't know how too turn there computer on or when they do load up ten copies of the same program play music cd's and set the virus checker to scan all the files.
                At our place heads certainly don't roll for slow machines

i am so sick of the politics invovled in schools. in my high school several of the best staff quit because of the politics and various people... in college, there are several places where if the students didn't do all the work (and have a brain) nothing would ever get done...

TRue

take for instance the software store on campus... due to politics, there is a mandatory 36% (iirc, it probably is much higher, probably 40% or more) markup thats required by the school... and then the store has to mark things up themselves... between that and their distributors, they sell educational copies of Windows for $50 more than the retail equivilent and D-Link network cards are $50-$60 USD. and to boot the whole thing is pretty much run by either a junior or a senior working towards a business major....

At our place software to staff is cheap £15 for a copy of office or windoze. However buying hardware I advise them to go down to the local high street.

and then their is the internet access here... we have a 120Mbp/sec pipe to the internet... yet, i have never seen more than an 80k/second download sustained off campus from the dorms... often times downloads are in the 10k/sec range... yet a computer 5 minutes away on foot (on campus) can do the same download from the same site at 300K/sec... its one thing to traffic shape the network... its another things to traffic shape the network to make it almost unusable for anything other than light web surfing...

No problem with download rates at our place. However is the web provided for downloading at while at work. Barring patches for techies.

bleh, enough of my bitching....
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                X