A Hero in the Digital World!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hero in the Digital World!

I can't believe it! There are actual congressmen/women who are not on the take! Check out this article on StereoPhile.com:

[RANT]
    Of Lofgren's proposed consumers' rights bill, Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) president Jack Valenti said, "If this bill were to pass, it would render ineffective, worthless, and useless any protection measure we would have in place to protect a $100 million movie. You could download a million movies a day, and no penalty for it." During the film industry's protracted campaign against the VCR in the early 1980s, the visionary Valenti described the device as the film industry's "Boston strangler." The video rental industry that emerged became an enormous source of revenue for Hollywood.
    Is this guy smoking cracking? This has to be the DUMBEST reaction to this law! What part of, "would not authorize someone taking their digital content and sharing it with a million of their best friends," did this imbecile not understand? This law would, "allow consumers to make copies for personal use." I.E. If I own a copy of WarCraft III, I can make a copy of it for my own personal use so my master CD's don't get scarred to all hell and become unplayable.

Some people really piss me off!

[/RANT]

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

The film industry's "Boston Strangler" is their obscene greed. I went to a movie the other day and was hit up for $8.00 to get in, $4.00 for a coke, and $4.00 for a bag of popcorn. If you are Julia Roberts and get paid $20 million per movie, that's chicken feed, but that's not reality, folks. Screw them. From now on, it's bargain shows and no snacks.. and that's if I REALLY want to see the movie. I'm really sick of Hollywood. If Osama wants to set off a pocket nuke there and get rid of those rich pricks, it's OK with me.

Comment

i guess eventually sth. will trigger in their head. at the moment less and less people go to the cinema because of the astronomic prices -> so they raise the prices again to milk at least the few that still go -> less and less people go -> they raise prices -> less and less people go -> noone to milk anymore -> trigger!
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

It's 10.50$ to go see a movie here, used to be 8$ a few years ago. I'd rather buy or rent a movie now!
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

They are trying to use their walets to think with
          And we all know what that produces
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The theater people already make no money because hollywood charges them ridiculous prices for renting the film, hence the ridiculous prices for soft drinks and popcorn. Nobody "deserves" $20 million per movie, and Spielberg certainly doesn't "deserve" to be a multibillionaire for what he does. Least of all, executives like Eisner don't "deserve" to have the ridiculous salaries they get paid for being nothing more than ****oles in suits.

Comment

Sorry Thop. That's the way things <I>should</I> work, but around here what triggers is that the MPAA will lean on their bought Senators and more legislation will come out.

Heinlein had the whole thing pegged decades ago:
              "There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or a corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute nor common law. Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back, for their private benefit."
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

10 years ago i could see a movie for about 8DM (~4.10€). now that some years ago multiplexes popped up everywhere they wanted 13DM (~6.60€). and now they want 9€ + 1€ is the movie is overlength (120min+)
                no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

they raise prices -> less and less people go -> noone to milk anymore -> trigger!
                  If I remember correctly, this about sums up Marx' theory about the end of capitalism.

Cheers,
                  Pelle

Comment

The way things are heading now, you'll either be having an act that forces people to go to the cinema and buy CDs, or a new MPAA/RIAA tax in a few years...

And all that corruptopn is so BLATANTLY OBVIOUS, but of course no one does anything against it, because no one alone CAN do anything... but ALL of you could

(then again, that's not going to happen, neither in the USA nor anywhere else )

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

What a revolting development this is
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

or a new MPAA/RIAA tax in a few years...
                        There already is one of those. Canada's is even worse.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

WHAT?

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

everytime we buy a blanc cd-r they get a %
                            (atleast here in Sweden)

Comment

I'm starting to read books again.

Comment

Working...
                              X