Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 9700 maya

Finally got this installed impressions.

1) Dual support as crappy as the Radeon 8500 it would be better if I just used a switch box.

2) Desktop 2d no improvement although DVD movies look better.

3) On first boot the monitors will not be activated until you boot into the os which is a pain if you're dual booting. I haven't tried one single attached monitor.

4) Sometime I'll get around to playing a game.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Desktop 2d no improvement
    is this comparing it to the 8500?

Comment

Yes compairing it to the 8500.
      I've just noticed the shimmer is back as well. Didn't see it yesterday. Damn interferance.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Re: Radeon 9700 maya

Originally posted by The PIT

3) On first boot the monitors will not be activated until you boot into the os which is a pain if you're dual booting. I haven't tried one single attached monitor.
        I have the same card, and it does show POST and all. The secondary head doesnt kick in until the XP logon screen though.

I dont suppose you have a flat panel do you? Im having trouble when I have mine connected with the DVI connector. When I turn the computer off, the monitor doesnt go into standby. If I use the d-sub its fine.

Ali

Comment

wait till indiana wakes up
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Thop, don't you belong in your bed now?

I know I belong in mine Thank god there are no courses tomorrow.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Re: Re: Radeon 9700 maya

Originally posted by Ali

I have the same card, and it does show POST and all. The secondary head doesnt kick in until the XP logon screen though.

I dont suppose you have a flat panel do you? Im having trouble when I have mine connected with the DVI connector. When I turn the computer off, the monitor doesnt go into standby. If I use the d-sub its fine.

Ali
              Got an Samsung 181T LCD on one and iilyama Pro 512 22 incher on the other. Neither will show post on first boot and will alternate how much you see on any other boots after that.
              Dual head support is shit needs a lot of work on it. Pity my LCD no good for games otherwise I'd the iiLyama and get a lot of desk space back.
              Shame the shimmer is back.
              The games I tried.
              Castle Wolfstein looks brillant and runs really smooth.
              UT the same
              Unreal has half the textures missing under d3d or opengl.
              Tigerwoods 2001 dies an honourable death. No surprises there.
              I'll try somemore.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                Yes compairing it to the 8500.
                I've just noticed the shimmer is back as well. Didn't see it yesterday. Damn interferance.
                2D is signifcantly better than my Original Radeon. I see no shimmer.

Dave
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Did you check if it is a BBA?
                  Most currently sold third party cards are repackaged BBAs (like my HIS). The only manufacturer from whom non-BBA cards were seen up to now seems to be Hercules (they have a differently coloured board).

I'm asking, because on my BBA both monitors (an Iiyama VisionMaster 510Pro and a 15" analog TFT) show a picture from the post including BIOS-settings menu. In fact there are ALWAYS both monitors activated in "Clone-mode" at boot up even when one monitor is disabled in the windows display preferences, the second one is only turned off at the windows login screen in this case.
                  Maybe Gigabyte used its own BIOS and this is a BIOS issue.

BTW, what exactly is crap with the R9700s DualView? It can support real DualView now under Win2k as well and I'm not aware of any major lacking DualView features?

Display quality definitely is up from the 8500 here, but then this was really necessary as I'd rate the 8500 quite poor in this aspect. I'd say the R9700 has comparable 2D to the original Radeon on the primary output - slightly below Matrox G400 standard, but fully acceptable (to me, at least).
                  On the secondary out the R9700 is the best card I've seen so far 2d-wise. (Don't know if the Parhelia delivers the same IQ on both outputs, though).

The interference problem unfortunately is a known one and seems to occur in special hw setups. Rev1.3 cards seem to fix this - not the chip revision as sometimes wrongly stated, ALL cards have the same chip stepping, but there are REV 1.0, 1.1. and 1.3 board versions.

Which drivers are you using, btw?
                  Last edited by Indiana; 8 October 2002, 16:12.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment