XCard, DivX Hardware decoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XCard, DivX Hardware decoder

has anybody used this card? ( http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm ) I was thinking about making my compaq PII/266 to a movie-box for both Divx and DVD's. But I was wondering if the xcard support subtitles on Divx-files? Or if there are third-party drivers for the card. I tried to search around a bit but couldn't find anything

It would (I think) be a great movie-box with the xcard, but I'm arfraid that the card will die and dissappear since they violated the open source policy and stole the code for the codec

Maybe if they wouldn't have done that and agreed to the open source there would be some third party software for the card...

But, anyone know if subtitles can be shown on divx-files?
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

c't reviewed it and although I forgot the details, they said the card isn't worth it. Not fully compatible with divX, only accelerates one divX format (I think it was 5?), does the other in software just like every other player, and some more gripes. I'll dig out the article if it's important for you.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

they didn't violate any copyright laws in the creation of the card. they liscensed the codec from DivXNetworks, Inc. DivXNetworks is the company that developed the Divx5 codec, and also sponsored Project Mayo, which people commonly refer to as DivX4.

also, subtitles inside the video would be a player specific feature. i doubt the X-Card supports the feature, as it is not part of the codec.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I think for a movie box, if you're willing to wait a little and spend some money, you should wait for the new VIA eden (?) systems. They'll have a processor that can be passively cooled, and the chipset (or the processor? forgot, but some part of the system ) integrates some multimedia features (which ones i forgot, but I know that when i read the news, i found it interesting, and I think VIA was aiming at the movie box market).

AZ

Comment

Wow, this will definately make the list of the posts with the least hard info in them ever

Forgive me, I'm quite tired...

AZ

Comment

Working...
          X