Favourite Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Software

topic says it all, what is your favourite/the best/most useful/etc. software of all time?

for me the vote goes clearly goes to the DOS Norton Commander, i was completely lost without this thing. so simple yet so powerful.

actually at least 1/3 of my vote belongs to its sophisticated linux brother, the GNU Midnight Commander, which i use every day.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Gravity (newsreader)...been using it for years
    and still like it a lot!....using it right now....

Comment

I also loved Norton Commander, but I found Dos Navigator which IMHO was better, and with more features...
      Though of the current programs I'm using I would suggest IrfanView, a great small image viewer. It does all the formats, it can do very simply image editing (cropping, resizing etc) and it loads the pictures fast..

Cobos
      My Specs
      AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Opera and *gasp* windows explorer.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Windows Commander 32 by Ghysler (a neighbor) thru thick and thru thin, then Corel graphics thru crashes and bashes for years, one of those love/hate things, now ZoomBrowser, though funky in places, and yeah, NC has saved my ass many times, though with NTFS it's now out... nothing's perfect
          Last edited by mutz; 6 October 2002, 04:29.
          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
          Who cares?

Comment

This isn´t an easy one, but I think I´d have to say Corel Draw (and what comes with it).
            Best utility by far is PicaView 2. If you don´t have it you don´t know what you´re missing.

rubank

Comment

Oh, Winamp 2 and 3 (although both aren't even near perfect), Windows Media Player 6.4, and definately IrfanView! Oh, and Outlook Express

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Regedit, Edit, Xcopy on work to do repairs

At home:
                Texturiser, Litestep, MBM5, Mozilla
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

ACDSee with Picaview and ImageFox (totally agree with you about Picaview rubank!), NERO Burning ROM, MSN Messenger...do OS's count? If yes, BeOS and WinXP would definetly be on the list.
                  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Hem.

Norton Ghost is a BRILLIANT piece of software. Ab-so-lutely.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes of course, how could I forget Norton Ghost (probably since I use it rarily). It really saves you a lot of trouble when things go bad...
                      AND it runs from a floppy

Cobos
                      My Specs
                      AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Well I did say this is a tough one, didn´t I?

You all mention good stuff, and here´s more (when needed and when things go wrong)

UltraEdit and Hex Workshop.

And for calculations Excalibur.

Partition Magic isn´t too shabby, and....

You see, there´no end to it

rubank

edit: Ooops, I forgot DosShell
                        Last edited by rubank; 6 October 2002, 08:18.

Comment

Powerquest Partition Magic and Drive Image
                          2 of the pieces of software I always purchase upgrades for.
                          I used to used Ghost (before it was purchased by Symantec) but haven't needed it in years.
                          Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

...nice sig!
                            How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                            Who cares?

Comment

XTGold, and NAV kept me outta trouble many times....
                              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                              X