Aaargh Intermittant crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaargh Intermittant crashing

Everything was fine this weekend until I installed the latest Norton antivirus files and these were corrupted.
    Tried again and they were corrupted again. So I bunged the files on from another machine and scanned for virus's and the machine blue screened and rebooted.
    Chkdsk the hard disk and a there was a corrupt file. The virus checker ran fine after that.
    Now this machine is the one that collects weather data so it's important for me. Next day I boot in windoze starts I copy the weather files across to another drive (Rather than ghosting the whole lot) Blue screen irq-not_less than or equal. Mmm driver problem but nothings been updated for yonks.
    Reboot copy the files across across okay. Check event viewer nothing in there. Machine runs okay until I tell it shut down and it blue screens again.
    Next day I pull out the extra memory i put in three weeks ago instant blue screen. Reboot go for a clean install format the drive during setup and the setup cannot copy all the windoze files. Clean cd no go. Try the cd in another machine and it can't read the cd. Try it the cd writer and that copy the files. Create an image of the cd and create a new one. This can't be read either.
    Put another scsi cd drive in and this reads it.
    Re-install windoze 2k and since it's late I leave it.
    Next evening everything goes fine until I install the wintv card I run this and wintv programs acts wierd. I try weather program for some reason Irq_not_less_than again. Reboot and I uninstall the wintv card with hwclear programme. Reboot and the windoze is buggered completly. The registry is knackered.
    Re-install again and the CD won't copy at all.
    Basterd.
    Back to the old ghost image from the 21st of sept. Boot into safe mode and remove the win2k machine. Uninstall the wintv programmes and text. Reboot and try the weather programme. Another error message. Reinstall the weather programme and this runs happily. Try live update and the anti virus files now install. Copy files form one drive to another. No problem anymore.
    Now have I cracked it and it was the wintv card going to great wintv heaven or is it just playing with me waiting to spoil my Birthday and few days holiday thats coming.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

irg_not_less_or_equal is usually hardware related. like flaky memory, cpu too hot sth. like this
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I know thats why I'm hoping I found it all ready otherwise it's going to be slow process of pulling things out. Luckily I've got spares of everything just about. Good job I haven't sold them.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

hey The Pit, did someone build your house on an ancient American Indian cemetery by accident?

You seem to be the unluckiest guy alive regarding computer hardware problems..

anyway, I hope it's nothing serious this time

Comment

Originally posted by thop
          irg_not_less_or_equal is usually hardware related. like flaky memory, cpu too hot sth. like this
          I second that.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
            hey The Pit, did someone build your house on an ancient American Indian cemetery by accident?

Probably becuase I fiddle a lot I also work with the darn things. No this board has worked fine for a couple of years until I transferred it across the weather data machine more than four weeks ago.

But look at the things I've used.

IBM Hard drives. Well dodgy.
            Abit boards with via solutions. Very Dodgy.
            Norton software which can be tempermental.
            Fujitsu hard drive which are now being recalled.
            Wintv Digital card that didn't work and as it turns out it didn't for most people.
            Via and XP and the infinite loop.

The wintv card is about 4 years old so perhaps it's ready to die.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus

No, but when he was seen buying a copy of Windows XP at his local PC World the emergency services declared a 50-mile exclusion zone around his house
              And groups of long haired weirdo's in white robes regularly wander around his back garded with dowsing rods muttering about ley-lines.....
              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Shit you know me
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Good news looks like it was the Wintv card. Works fine without it so it thats gone to the great wintv in the sky.
                  Got a usb replacement which performs a lot poorer than my orginal card. Teletext is useless on it and thats in area where you can text without an arial plugged in.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X