Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMP7 has bunggled my TVOUT

Here's the deal...

I thought I would be smart and try out WMP7 beta. They seemed to rave on about how great it was at Microsoft so I downloaded and tryed it out.

Stupid Mistake.

Now I have no TvOut through my Marvel G400 on avi files compressed with Divx or MPEG1 files. Mp2, rm and Mjpeg files still output fine, but this is a real problem because all my home movies are stored on CD-R as DivX files and I need them to go to TVOUT.

I read a post at the matrox forums linking WMP7 to the problem and it said that I had to get an older version of my registry, before WMP7 changed it.

I have no idea I to do this.

Please Help!

Sci

* I have reinstalled Powerdesk 5.55 and Videotools 1.54 but to no avail
    simon@pcarroll.cjb.net

of course this is of no help (sorry, don't nkow how to fix it) but you should have tried the MP7 beta.... then you could have seen how much it s*cked. I hope it won't be installed by default with SP1 for Win2k... that would really be bad!

Comment

If you're running win98, copies of the last 5 days worth of registry settings are stored in cab files in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP folder. The easiest way to restore that I'm aware of is to boot to the dos prompt, then type in scanreg.exe & hit enter -- after scanning your current copy, it'l give you an option to restore one of the prior copies.

'Course, the catch is that if it's been 5 days, then this method's of little use.

On the other hand, when I installed MediaPlayer7, it left MediaPlayerII intact in the program files\windows media player folder. This and all the older stuff seems to work just fine, the only difference being that mp7 is associated with all the file types so it opens by default should I double click on a media file.

If this isn't the case with your setup, perhaps reinstalling the older media player might work, even if you have to do it manually, since as far as I can tell most of the other files it needs are unchanged.

For what it's worth, it seems from the docs that MS updated their codecs, though IMHO the biggest changes where typical MS stuff, promoting whatever. The beta encoder refuses to behave with my system, also refusing mpeg input, though again the old version left intact works just fine.

luck
      mikie

Comment

There are several ways to restore your system. The first way would involve using a backup of your registry to overwrite the stuff WMP 7 ruined. If you have to ask where the backup is located you don't have have one since you would of been the one to manually perforn this. Windows does not automatically do this. The second way involves the use of a third party program like Norton Utilities/Systemworks. If you have something like this on your system you could use the registry monitoring programs included to undo the evil that WMP7 did to your system.

If none of the above was done,,,,,,,, well then unless you can get into the registry and undo each line that WMP7 changed your last and final option is to format and reinstall the whole shebang.

If option 3 is what you have to do look at it this way: You will get some house cleaning done on your hard drive, probably pick up a little speed, and most likely be all the wiser the next time you ponder installing ANYTHING from Micro$oft that ends in zero/beta without first checking around to see what's gonna blow-up when you install it.

[This message has been edited by IM_Riktar (edited 21 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by IM_Riktar (edited 21 July 2000).]
        Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

I have sure learned my lesson about microsoft.

Now I really need to know if anyone knows what relevant lines need to be changed in the registry to get my TVOUT back again.

Thanks
          Sci
          simon@pcarroll.cjb.net

Comment

This is purely guessing on my part so make sure you back everything up before trying this.

Go here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia

and delete your media player key.

I don't know how much this will help but this should be the main entry for wmp7.

Haig

Comment

Working...
            X