Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What John Carmack does in his spare time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What John Carmack does in his spare time....

Check this out: http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...op_021002.html
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Helluva guy...

Comment

While on the subject, make sure to check out www.armadilloaerospace.com and watch the videos...

Comment

Does noone care???

Personally, I consider what he's doing particularly admirable.

He intends to fund an X-Prize vehicle directly out of his pocket and to design and build it himself (with others)!!!

This could open up space for a wide range of people and hopefully get us beyond LEO in due course....

Comment

He's only the latest in many that are privately funding such a vehicle.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

sure the things nice and all, but he should be concentrating all his efforts on gettin doom3 done
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
              He's only the latest in many that are privately funding such a vehicle.
              He's not only funding it, he's designing it!!!!

As for doom3, I personally consider the development of a low-cost launch platform FAR MORE IMPORTANT!!!

Comment

Like I said before he's not the only one... there are others that have already invested 10+ years into development of such. Besides JC isn't per se the only one designing it... tho because his name is on the paychecks it will most certainly be the only one allowed to have the recognition assigned to it's design.

To think that somebody who has mosty amassed their entire life into computer programming and toss them into modern rocketry, let alone aeronautical engineering really throws me into a whirlwind of mixed feelings. Back when I was 10 years old (or so) I put my sights on two things, becomming an EE and an Aeronautical Engineer. I've achieved one so far and have worked with many experimental aircraft designs developed by friends that are AE's. Also a member of the EAA and have spent many an hour with the greats in this arena. This is one subject area I am very well versed in.

I too am very hopeful of such a lowcost launch system, but lets be real about it, Ok?

BTW remember what I said lastnight?
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Can't wait for one of these latter-day Evel Kneivel's to try launching one of those things

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                    Like I said before he's not the only one... there are others that have already invested 10+ years into development of such. Besides JC isn't per se the only one designing it... tho because his name is on the paychecks it will most certainly be the only one allowed to have the recognition assigned to it's design.

To think that somebody who has mosty amassed their entire life into computer programming and toss them into modern rocketry, let alone aeronautical engineering really throws me into a whirlwind of mixed feelings. Back when I was 10 years old (or so) I put my sights on two things, becomming an EE and an Aeronautical Engineer. I've achieved one so far and have worked with many experimental aircraft designs developed by friends that are AE's. Also a member of the EAA and have spent many an hour with the greats in this arena. This is one subject area I am very well versed in.

I too am very hopeful of such a lowcost launch system, but lets be real about it, Ok?

BTW remember what I said lastnight?
                    I'll agree with you in that regard. One of the main reasons that most X-Prize projects haven't taken off is a lack of funding. This, at least, is a step in the right direction.

I'll try not to infringe on your territory.

Coincidentally, I, as well, aspire to become an Aerospace Engineer and am now a student with that major.

Cheers, and may this all culminate in success and a new spacefaring civilization for us all.....

Comment

so soon it wont be hard to get a "one way tiket to the moon" .....
                      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

....and I'd take it, too....assuming the necessary infrastructure was in place....

Comment

Working...
                        X