Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Rambus memory

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend spec and build a new rig. We've decided on all the components, which include a P4 with Rambus memory, and we're pretty much ready to order parts. However, I've never gone inside a Rambus machine before, and I've got a couple of questions.

1. Apparently, to run at 533MHz bus speed with PC800 memory, this motherboard (Intel 850EMV2) needs PC800-40 modules as opposed to PC800-45. How can I make sure I get the right ones? I don't see this listed anywhere on vendors' websites. (If it helps, we're getting Corsair modules.)

2. I've got conflicting advice on what to do with empty memory sockets. One says that empty sockets should be filled with some kind of 'null module' (I forget the correct term). The other says that the first empty socket should have a terminator RIMM installed. Which is right (if either)? Again, I don't see either item listed online.

Thanks for your help. Any other advice is appreciated as well.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

if you don't 'populate' both the rambus channels with RIMMs, then you need to terminate the unused channel with the terminators that should be provided with your motherboard, to guarantee RIMM signal integrity.

btw. this requirement is most definately also stated in the motherboard manual (which is also available from the internet from most motherboard manufacturers if you don't own the board (yet) ).

Comment

as far as 2) goes, yes, you need C-RIMMS installed in empty slots. Most motherboard vendors bundle those.

as far as the memory module stuff goes, i have not followed up with the RDRAM stuff in a while, especially with the 850E stuff.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Re: Help with Rambus memory

Originally posted by Ribbit

1. Apparently, to run at 533MHz bus speed with PC800 memory, this motherboard (Intel 850EMV2) needs PC800-40 modules as opposed to PC800-45. How can I make sure I get the right ones? I don't see this listed anywhere on vendors' websites. (If it helps, we're getting Corsair modules.)
        If you check out the memory section on googlegear they have memory broken down into the pc800-40 and pc800 (45) modules. If you didn't order the corsair sticks yet, check these out.
        WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
        Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
        HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
        HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
        Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
        ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
        Hauppauge Wintv #401
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

...some reason you are going with the Intel board? I checked them all out before I bought my Gigabyte. It's the fastest, has the most features and the documentation is good. The C Rimms come with the board, plus 10 USB 2 ports, onboard Raid, LAN, sound and more.

Why do you want to go with the PC800? The 1066 is double so fast and the only one that enables you to milk all the P4 has got.

Check my sig. This is by far the best system I have ever had, or seen...
          Last edited by mutz; 2 October 2002, 15:15.
          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
          Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
            [BWhy do you want to go with the PC800? The 1066 is double so fast and the only one that enables you to milk all the P4 has got. [/B]
            Agreed....
            With a 533MHz board, PC1066 is the way to go.
            For me, I like the Asus P4T533 series......but I'm biased
            Last edited by Tom; 2 October 2002, 16:37.

Comment

...yeah Tom. I was considering that one too, having stuck with Asus for so many years. But the Gigabyte board came out the best in the tests, though the difference between speed of the GA-8IHXP and the P4T533 is very little. The big difference is in the features. The GA-8IHXP comes with about everything you might want now and some time to come. I could move my Raid and NIC to another machine and have two slots free.

The board is better thought out and more solid than the P4T533 too.

Though THG is sometimes suspect, I think they were right on here
              How can you possibly take anything seriously?
              Who cares?

Comment

Well seems like everybody read this article I myself had to decide whether to go with the Gigabyte or the Asus board. I took the Asus as I never experienced any problems with them in past. Now I'm considering about building another Intel P4 system and I'll probably go for the Gigabyte there. My upcoming oc project will need the right stuff and I have a vapochill in mind and some OCZ PC1200 memory.
                "There is no mistake so great as the mistake of not going on" - William Blake

Comment

c-rimms= ****inutity rimms... nothing els to add..
                  "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Mutz, Tom,

My friend is going to be using this machine for audio and video work, and is therefore going for stability as much as possible. That's why we (well he - I just laid out and explained the options, he picked the pieces) went with the Intel board over, say, an Asus. Not that Asus is bad, but Intel still have the reputation in this area. This is also why we're using PC800, as Intel are still a bit funny about using PC1066 on an 850.

Edit: Personally, I'd have built him a box with the Asus P4S8X. Just so you all know.
                    Last edited by Ribbit; 3 October 2002, 06:23.
                    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                    X