Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dualie!

Howdey all,

I am going to shove another XP1800 into my A7M266-D running a fresh build of XP Pro SP1.

Are there any issues that I should be aware of?
    Would I need to reinstall?
    Will any non SMP programs benefit?

TIA!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

erm.. on second thoughts.. perhaps i should get a faster CPU with a view to replacing my current one at a later date???

I am fairly sure that this mobo can use XPs of different speeds as if it were an MP
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Intel boards you can do this with, AMD does not recommend it for their Socket A boards, however.

You'd best go with a pair of MPs....Some Singapore XPs came with the L5 Bridge uncut and will be identified as an MP by your board.

The L5 Bridge mod is easily done and non-permanent if you are careful.
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Yeah, my current CPU is reported as an MP1800

Comment

Yes, your entire system benefits from SMP. Once you've done it you'll always miss it if you don't have it.

Everything is just snappier and more responsive. Background tasks run without regard to foreground tasks.

SMP is wonderful. Do it today!

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I don't believe that Intel boards can do different speed processors. I'm pretty sure that right now the only company that can do anything like that is Sun, and that's different speed cells, not microprocessors. IBM's working on it too, but.

If you've already got the board, might as well go ahead. But figure out what you do most with your computer. For the price of MP processors, you could get a faster XP chip. Often one fast processor is better than two normal procs. So what will you do with the box?

I have no idea how picky AMD SMP setups are about matching the processors. With Intel, you usually HAD to have the same stepping of processor, or quirkiness would ensue. Somebody keeps mentioning 2cpu.com around here. I think they have forums. Might want to double check there.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Woohoo! That's what i wanted to hear

Do i need to reinstall XP?

Comment

Yeah, I have been over there all afternoon.
                Jammrock's usually the one to rave about them...

Comment

depending on operating systems you might have to reload it or install a new kernel/HAL.

the thing that benefits the most from another processor is if you multitask a lot, and are juggling programs.

running two XP's in SMP is not guaranteed to work, nor is it supported. even if the board detects them as MP processors (and i know they do), it is not guaranteed to work. I've heard that sometimes they work, sometimes they are just horribly, horribly unstable.

oh, and neither company recommends running mixed speed processors in the same system. it may run, but it is considered at your own risk and is not warranteed at all.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

It wouldn't be a long term solution... I know that the XP's are *not* supposed to work, but i have not heard of anyone who reports problems with the later revision boards...

Perhaps i should try an offload my XP1800 first... I dont want to buy a new XP if there is a chance it wont work...

I will be using WinXP Pro.

Comment

Two true MP processors should give you better performance, at least a little. From the rumors I've heard, the MP chips have a slightly different cache algorithm to adjust for sharing. It makes sense, and is likely true.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I remember quite a few people reporting success running SMP Linux with different speed processors, mostly Celerons. But that was a long time ago, and in any case, no-one in their right mind would even suggest you try it.

Edit: I just reread the thread and I see that some people have done just that...
                        Last edited by Ribbit; 2 October 2002, 14:52.
                        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I've succesfully run an Athlon TB 1200 + an Athlon TB 1333 in an A7M266-D.

Only catch is; it runs both cpu's at the slowest cpu speed, in my case 1200.

But then I bought two XP 2000+ and pencilled L5, no probs whatsoever.
                          Why would I send my pants to New Jersey?

Comment

nah, it was just gonna be a temporary measure until i could flog and replace the old CPU

Comment

I've succesfully run an Athlon TB 1200 + an Athlon TB 1333 in an A7M266-D.

Only catch is; it runs both cpu's at the slowest cpu speed, in my case 1200.

But then I bought two XP 2000+ and pencilled L5, no probs whatsoever.
                              What revision is your mobo?

Comment

Working...
                              X