Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erratic idle speed question

Any budding car mechanics out there?
    I've got a 2.5litre 24 valve V6 petrol engine and its engine management system is playing silly b*ggers on me. The idle speed is normally constant at around 750rpm, but for no apparent reason it can climb up to 2 or even 3000rpm and either climb down again or stay there for a couple of minutes. Other times it will seesaw between 300 and 3000 rpm making you feel a complete idiot as you kangeroo up the road looking like a learner. And having your engine screaming away at 3000rpm at a red light next to some sports car who thinks you want to race can be a tad embarassing too. Is this likely to be electronic ie expensive or a dodgy sensor somewhere?

Dave
    Don't make me angry...

Well Rags is the resident Auto Mechanic here, but a quick thing you might want to do is dissconnect the battery for a couple minutes to "reset" the cars computer to see if that improves anything. Other thing might be the Fuel Filter might be clogged.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

i hate carz.... cant seem to figure out how to drive one sucsesfully.....
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Could be a vacuum leak through the rebreather line (or elsewhere depending on engine design). Would also think that a fauly O2 sensor would cause similar operation.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

In many European cars (mind you I am referring to Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Saab here, not Peugot, Rover, or some other little POS) the O2 sensor will do that to you at idle.

Or... a clogged fuel filter...

Or... hey wait this has all already been suggested.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I had the exact same problem in my cat (Peugeot 205 1100cc injection).
            I found this on google trying to figure out what's the name of the failed part in my engine:

Fuel Injection Trouble Tips 7

Erratic idling speed

1. Engine & battery earth connections
            2. Air intake system for leaks
            3. Auxiliary air valve/idle speed control valve
            4. Idle speed & CO content
            5. Fuel injection system wiring & connections
            6. Coolant temperature sensor
            7. Knock control
            8. Air mass meter
            9. Fuel pressure regulator & delivery rate
            10. ECU & connector
            11. Limp home function

I had problems with no.3 (idle speed control valve) on this list . Part replaced and problem is gone.

Comment

What's a "Limp home function"?

Does this get you back in an emergency on 3 wheels?
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Dunno, ask someone who knows about engines.

Here's an explanation about the idle speed control valve
                And another one.

Here they call it "Stepper Motor" / "Idle motor". Took me a while to find the right term for that thing. In my car it's a Magenti Marelli.

Comment

Dog, unless it is a fake Idle Motor, it's a Magneti Marelli. Not a Magenti...
                  Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

If you try disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, you might have to leave it set for longer than a few minutes. On my Taurus I had to leave it disconnected overnight. The next morning I reconnected and all was good. Previously I had disconnected for 20 minutes and it had no effect.

Similar problems. Surging like there was an intermittent vacuum leak, dogging and hesitation when trying to maintain a constant speed. Replaced the throttle position sensor and every inch of vacuum line under the hood. Nothing worked until I disconnected the battery overnight, and that was accidental, because I needed the battery for something else (camcorder, of all things)!

Kevin

Comment

If it was an O2 Sensor, it should have turned on the check engine light...then again it is a European car and might not have the same engine control software as a US one
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Actually it's Korean, a Kia Sedona, but I believe it borrows it's engine design from the newish Rover 75. Lots of interesting suggestions to look into, thanks. I do have a check engine light and I haven't noticed it coming on. I'll start with the disconnect battery, nice and simple.

Dave
                        Don't make me angry...

Comment

totally OT: gurm i think you should write a book, i already have a title for it
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                            What's a "Limp home function"?

Does this get you back in an emergency on 3 wheels?
                            It tends to be a gearbox mode where by it automatically selects 3rd gear and keeps the revs low, like safe mode after a blue screen except more of a worry if your car is worth anything to you!
                            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Ahh! I see now... cheers A31
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X