Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Athlons Article

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

What amazes me is I have two systems at home that I built...

...one with a 1.4ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird...

...the other a 1.67ghz AMD Athlon XP2000+...

They're already slow by comparison to these faster Athlon chips.

Then the 64-bit chips will start shipping next quarter!

Wow - stop the world I want to get off!!

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

This is what amazes me also, not only that our chips are slow by todays standards, but in order to buy the faster CPU's you also need to buy new motherboards and ram to accomodate.

I personally think, motherboard and memory manufacturers should develope some kind of standard that allows their products to become scalable as new chips are released.
      Yeah I know, the price of mobos are cheap, but it all adds up

Cheers,
      Elie

Comment

One of the reason for me purchasing the cpu/mem/mb combo I did was to improve upon what other current systems offer. By modding my cpu to run at a lower clock I was able to not only clock it to a higher core speed, but have done it with the FSB running at or above 166DDR (333) speeds. I've successfully had this MB run the mem to as high as 187mHz DDR rock stable (verified with memtest86) tweaking the memory timings has allowed me to achieve memory benchmarks only what is shown that the nForce2 can achieve. Now to wait for those next gen XP cpu's to hit the market and I'm still in business
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

also read this article...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
            One of the reason for me purchasing the cpu/mem/mb combo I did was to improve upon what other current systems offer. By modding my cpu to run at a lower clock I was able to not only clock it to a higher core speed, but have done it with the FSB running at or above 166DDR (333) speeds. I've successfully had this MB run the mem to as high as 187mHz DDR rock stable (verified with memtest86) tweaking the memory timings has allowed me to achieve memory benchmarks only what is shown that the nForce2 can achieve. Now to wait for those next gen XP cpu's to hit the market and I'm still in business
            Did you check out the latency of the NForce2???

I'm not sure that you can match that....

A few benefits of the NForce2 for OC'ers

PCI Lock---crank that FSB and keep that PCI at 33mhz

Memory dividers. Seeing as you have dual channel DDR, you can theoretically run your CPU at 250mhz FSB seeing as you will be cpu limited and keep your ram between 133 and 166 or maybe a bit higher.....

In order to get the 4.2gb/s that the NForce2 will offer with your RAM at 133mhz, you'll have to run at a 533mhz FSB....

You'll then be able to run your CPU at a crazy FSB and keep your ram at sane speeds at proper memory timings...seeing as latency then becomes more important than sheer speed.
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

It is quite amazing that AMD has taken the same basic core from 500Mhz at introduction in August 1999 to 2250Mhz in October of 2002. They have done a remarkable job of keeping Intel within striking distance despite the difference in clock speed. In fact, they still dominate quite a few benches, MPEG-2 being one of the more important ones if you frequent this forum.
              - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
              X