Duron vs. Athlon.... what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duron vs. Athlon.... what to do?

As someone here brought to my attention I may not be able to run an XP CPU on my asus a7v133 mobo....

so I was thinking of getting an new duron or athlon CPU instead, just cause I'm in that new hardware buying mood. I'm currently running a duron 800. I'm thinking of getting a duron 1300 or a athlon 1400. The duron 1300 is about 45$ and the Athlon is about 82$.

Will the Athlon really give me an extra 37$ worth of performance?

And if anyone has some (preferably quiet) cooler recommendations I'd much appreciate it.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

The OEM AthlonXP 1600+ is the best value today at about $55...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yeah but there is no guarantee that an XP CPU will work with my motherboard. And I really don't wanna just go for it, cause I may end up having to get a new motherboard to get it running.

So I was thinking of getting a regular Athlon (not XP) or a faster duron. I figure it should be enough to hold me over till the next generation CPU, or whatever, comes out.
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

The newer Durons have a different core too, so probably wont work on that board either. The Athlon 1400 would be a much better option anyway
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The Athlon is probably more compatible with your motherboard since the 1gh+ Durons is more XP than athlon

The Duron 1300 has roughly the same performance as a athlon 1200

The Athlon 1400 needs a kickass HS to be cool (or a normal HS with a verry verry noisy fan )

The Duron 1300 can be cooled by a "Normal" HS + Fan combination without too much extreem noise

Good and quiet HS:

Alpha PAL 8045 (Mounting is a pain in the rear )
          Thermalright AX 7 (Almost exactly as good as the alpha )
          Thermalright SK800 (Verry COOL )
          Thermaltake Volcano 7 (Cheap and rather quier, but the temp controlled fan can drive you nuts )
          Titan D5T ( the latest rev's is surprisingly good for such a quiet and CHEAP cooler )

Except SK800 and TT Volcano 7 I have tested all these HS myself
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If you've got PCB Version 1.5 or newer, an AthlonXP would work just fine....

Comment

where can I see what version PCB I have?

Comment

According to this picture it is between the 4th and 5th PCI slots

Comment

ow that... yeah mine's a 1.04

Comment

...well that'll limit you to a 950mhz Duron or 1.4ghz Athlon (Thunderbird)...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris B
                      Yeah but there is no guarantee that an XP CPU will work with my motherboard. And I really don't wanna just go for it, cause I may end up having to get a new motherboard to get it running.

So I was thinking of getting a regular Athlon (not XP) or a faster duron. I figure it should be enough to hold me over till the next generation CPU, or whatever, comes out.

BIOS ver 1007 :
                      Add support for AMD Athlon XP CPU(PCB ver. must be 1.05. or above, if ver. less than 1.05.,it would not be support with those CPU.)
                      Originally posted by K6-III
                      ...well that'll limit you to a 950mhz Duron or 1.4ghz Athlon (Thunderbird)...
                      Are you sure it will not support the new Duron core?
                      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

The New Duron core is the new XP core sans a big chunk of cache .....
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I don't think it will.

The A7V133 uses SDRAM, doesn't it? An option would be to get an ECS K7S5A + any cheap xp. The K7S5A is really cheap, and supports both SDR and, if you want to do a smooth transition without having to change the board again, DDRRAM.

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You could get a K7S5A and 1600XP+ for $108 total, shipped, from newegg.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

...not if he's in Denmark....

Comment

Working...
                              X