19 inch monitor suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 inch monitor suggestion?

I am in the market for a new 19 inch monitor. A little while back I went the extreme cheap route, and my eyes have been suffering as a result. Once I pick up my new Parhelia, I'd like a nice monitor to compliment it. I'm looking to spend around $350 to $400USD. My only restrictions at this point are that it must be a CRT, and I'd prefer a black cabinet (to match my PC case).
    I've always trusted the opinions of the users here, am I am looking forward to some suggestions.

I was just looking at a few NEC monitors, any comments on these?
    MultiSync FE990:

MultiSync FE991SB

thanks,
    Terry
    WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
    Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
    HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
    HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
    Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
    ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
    Hauppauge Wintv #401
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

I just picked up the NEC FE991SB for my kid's computer (which uses Matrox G400). I like it fine. It's better than the KDS that it replaced. Only $293 USD. Pixel USA
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Originally posted by Beezer
      I just picked up the NEC FE991SB for my kid's computer (which uses Matrox G400). I like it fine. It's better than the KDS that it replaced. Only $293 USD. Pixel USA
      thanks for the reply. I noticed that one is an aperture grille. I am hoping to find a shadow mask monitor, but i still might consider aperture.

By the way, if you just bought that monitor, there is a rebate you can get: http://www.necmitsubishi.com/product...3&division=NEC
      WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
      ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
      Hauppauge Wintv #401
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Pixel is pretty competitive Beezer. I bought my system from them 3 1/2 years ago ... no charge for assembly. I've bought a few add-ons (burner, modem, etc.) from them as well as they had the best local price. Limited selection and only current, most popular items but good prices.

I'm amazed at current monitor pricing. I think I paid around $1400 for my 17" NEC 5FG but that was eons ago. The whole 16 MB 486-66 system w/ monitor was around $6K!!! Current prices are muuuuuuch better.
        Last edited by xortam; 28 September 2002, 22:35.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The best in a shadow mask 19" would be a Samsung 900IFT.

The best Aperture Grille would be one of several. Some of my favorites are: Samsung 900NF, Philips 109P, Viewsonic PF790...check out some reviews...

The Philips and Samsung AG's as well as the 900IFT will give you both BNC and VGA inputs with removable VGA cables and awesome 3 year warranties....
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
            Pixel is pretty competitive Beezer. I bought my system from them 3 1/2 years ago ... no charge for assembly. I've bought a few add-ons (burner, modem, etc.) from them as well as they had the best local price. Limited selection and only current, most popular items but good prices.
            I agree. I bought my last couple of systems from them as well. Even when they didn't carry the CD ROM drive I wanted for one of my systems, they let me buy it elsewhere and then added it with the rest of their components during assembly (no charge). I can usually find many of the individual components for a little less elsewhere and online, but as a whole they are indeed pretty competitive, and since they are local... no shipping charges.
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

LG 915 FT+
              Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

The Sony G420 is also a very good monitor. It is a bit expensive but it offers an excellent image quality, and nice colors.
                System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Guess everyone has their own favourite. I must go with K6-III and recommend Samsung, but I think best thing for you is just to go to computer store and look at different monitors on your own. When you see one that you like, buy it. And I mean that one, not new one in box, as even monitors from same manufacturer from same series can have quite different pictures.

Comment

I have a Samsung 900IFT and it's really nice. Picture is very sharp, especially at 16x12.

Only 2 drawbacks (and the second one is minor):

1) 75Hz is the max refresh at 1600x1200
                    2) At very low res (800x600 or especially 640x480), you see very clear dark horizontal lines between each row of pixels. I guess that's the price you pay for having a .21 dot pitch.
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I'm an iiyama fan, so I'd reccomend the 19" Visionmaster Pro 454. Mines currently running at 1600x1280x32@90hz, which seems to be about as hard as my G400Max can push it.
                      I've no idea how much one costs in the US!
                      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Cornerstone used to have a black 19" CRT, but I can't find it or I would recommend it to you. Maybe GoSharks can find one and post about it...

Cornerstone monitors are far superior to any NEC monitor and cost much less. I use NEC all day at work and Cornerstone at home, so I know from experience.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

There was lot's of hype surrounding new SB NEC and Mitsubishi tubes on arstechnica A&V forums (Necmitsubishi employee uncovered those before NDA expired) and they seem cool.

Also from mini-reviews of the posters that bought NEC or Mitsubishi - they were very happy with them.

Also my friend who works in service bureau thinks Mitsubishis/NECs are best monitors in their price range (most service bureaus here run Mitsubishi or Sony - OK but overpriced)

There is a black cabinnet available as well.

I have Mitsus on my upgrade list, but i'm not yet due for a monitor upgrade.

Othervise:
                          Hi: LaCie, Quato, Sony F, Eizo and Hitachi
                          Hi-Middle: Mitsubishi/NEC, Sony G
                          Sweet spot: LG, Samsung, Iiyama (they use Mitsubishi/NEC Diamondtron tubes)

I heard good things about www.monitorsdirect.com .

Buying a good monitor is good since they last a few years - contrary to CPUs and GPUs quickly becomming obsolete. (I have adopted "No videocard costing more than monitor and no soundcard costing way more than speakers!" rules after dissatisfaction with el-cheapo parts.

Comment

LaCie and Quatographic are expensive, but not nearly as good as EIZO, or even sony (provided you don't need professional color calibration - but if you needed really good pro calibration, you'd get extra equipment for that - for a price, of course).

Iiyama is good, and their support is GREAT.

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

thanks for the replies. I'm going to hit various stores in the area this weekend, and see what they have in stock, so i'll be able to observe the quality of each in person.
                              WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
                              ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
                              Hauppauge Wintv #401
                              Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Working...
                              X