One PC, Six Hard Drives, 37 OSes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One PC, Six Hard Drives, 37 OSes!

Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

This rig doesn’t have Plexiglas portals or sport a fancy-pants paint job, but behind its plain-Jane exterior are no fewer than 37 operating systems! Make that 53 if you count the DOS window managers.

The rig’s audacious architect is 18-year-old Richard Robbins—an Eagle Scout, all-state jazz drummer, and tireless OS enthusiast who drove with parental units and PC all the way from Southern Utah to our offices in Brisbane, CA just so we could verify the authenticity of his creation. Is this guy nuts? No. But he does confess that he launched the Menagerie project specifically because an online computer expert said it couldn’t be done.

All the OSes are loaded onto six hard drives, and divvied across five separate boot menus with the help of a freely distributed bootloader called XOSL. The Menagerie features four 5400rpm Maxtors, one 7200rpm Maxtor, and one 7200rpm Western Digital. The rig’s Gigabite GA6VXE7+ motherboard, 1GHz P-III, Promise PCI IDE ATA/100 controller, and ATI Rage 128 graphics were surprisingly OS-friendly. A 350-watt PSU powers everything.

When challenging Richard to successfully load any OS our little hearts desired, we were amazed at the variety—and antiquity—of what he managed to boot. It was nice to see BeOS (sublime, efficient), OS/2 Warp IV (vexingly quaint), and a bunch of Linux distributions (rebellious and defiant), but we were most charmed by Windows 1.01, which was just a few pixels away from looking like a basic DOS screen.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

The kid's a genius if he got Windows 1.01 to run!

We used to call Win 1.01 computer art. Only for bewondering a Graphic User Interface, not for use, and don't you dare breath or it will crash!

Pay the kid's college education and hire him!
      How can you possibly take anything seriously?
      Who cares?

Comment

Damn! Wonder whats he gonna do with the PC now

Comment

Wonder if he i actualy using it!?!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

next question, how long before Microsoft persues him for all the licenses?
            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

hehehe, that was my thought!
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Sir, can you please show us your *licenses* for all these OSes?
                Uhhh... sure, just let me.. uhhh... hold on a second... Actually, you'd be surprised how little money is required to obtain most systems. Most Linux and Unix systems are open source, and therefore free. I've obtained free beta copies of XP and 2000 from student learning seminars I've attended. OS/2 can be obtained for very little off of Ebay, and BeOS is free as well. I've also just saved up all my OEM copies of windows from each computer I have purchased. If you've had four or five computers, chances are you have most Windows versions too.
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

that boi ...... has too much time on his hands~
                  i wonder how long it took him to set up all that~

Comment

Working...
                  X