X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does linux SUCK ?

Ok, been through several xNIX installations:

Gentoo: you MUST have network in order to finish the installation

BSD: Lack of configurability, can't find how to install grub on main HDD...

Slackware: GRUB didn't work + it somehow F$%d up my Win2k (beats me how)

Redhat: minor problems with X but it works.

Now for the big problems: took me over an hour downloading pptp client, burning it on a CD, installing it on Redhat and configuring the shit !
    Why everything has to be done through the console and include editing friggin .conf files ?!

Now I want to install nVIDIA drivers (I hate VESA shit) and I read that I have to do it (what a surprise) through the console.

? - How do I close X and return to console ?

Then want to install the drivers for my souncard (Hercules Gametheater XP) - cirrus logic CS4630 driver.

? - How do I define something to run as a module and how do I run it afterwards ?

? - How the hell do I recompile my kernel and WHY the hell do I have to do it ?

Now I really miss BeOS.
    It was so nice and easy is god damn straightforward unlike those damn xNIX. Damn, I even miss VAX/VMS !

If Linux sucks so bad why don't you go back to windows. Linux is obviously not for you.
    -Slougi

Comment

Cause saying I hate M$ while being their captive isn't doing much. As long as Be existed, all was cool but since they're gone, I have to try an alternative.

Since I've heard so much about how great and usable and stable it is and since I know a thing or two more than the stupid home user, I though it shouldn't be such a (god damn) big problem to use it.

So far it seems that you can't connect to the internet "out of the box" and you can't have non vesa video "out of the box".

No only that, but when you get all the drivers, you can't install them by yourself.

I have the packages for nvidia and for the CS4630 (actually a tar.gz file here). How the hell do I merge the nvidia stuff into my kernel and recompile it and how do I install the sound driver as a module ?

Why in Windoze and BeOS you just needed to install and reboot and here you need to dig so deep ?

Comment

Oh, and by the way, the fonts REALLY suck !

Seems like I'll be joining Gurm in the xNIX bashing soon cause unless someone will be able to "show me the light", xNIX is crap.

Comment

Just download mandrake. Even small steps will get you to your destination... Just slower. None of the distros you tried are really for the linux newbie.
          -Slougi

Comment

Besides that, coming in with a shit attitude and saying "prove me wrong" makes almost nobody interested in helping you.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Cause it's behond help.

Why can a person get windows/BeOS/OS-X and operate it all by himself while it doesn't work for Linux ?

I can go now , buy a book and learn anything and everything there is to know about Linux. It'll be totally missing the point.
              I was super angry at [M]atrox for releasing the G200 which was far from working "out of the box".

Now I'm frustrated with all those guys that like bashing M$ and telling us how great Linux is just to find out the the god damn thing doesn't work.
              Why are you praising an operating system with terrible fonts, terrible user experience and that to do half of the stuff, you need to go to the console ?

Why do I haev to mount my CD-ROM ? Windows and BeOS know when one was inserted and it's automaticly mounted for me.
              Why do I need to type something like this:

#pptp 10.0.0.138 --quirks=BEZEQ_ISRAEL debug user "user@iisrasrv" remotename "10.0.0.138 RELAY_PPP1" defaultroute mtu 1452 mru 1452 noauth

every time I want to connect to the internet ?

Why do I need to recompile my kernel in order for my video and sound to work ?

Comment

FFS DOWNLOAD MANDRAKE AND STOP BITCHING

Edit: hrm sorry for that. Seriously, go and download mandrake, it's almost as easy to set up as windows.... Just do some research for yourself before you post posts like these, as Wombat said your attitude really isn't helping at all. Google is your friend.
                Last edited by Slougi; 28 September 2002, 15:43.
                -Slougi

Comment

Originally posted by Slougi
                  Just download mandrake. Even small steps will get you to your destination... Just slower. None of the distros you tried are really for the linux newbie.
                  Trid it and it sucked! Dual CPU support did not work etc. etc.
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Slougi,

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't I need to recompile my kernel in order to use the latest nvidia drivers ?
                    What about the cs4620 sound chip ?

About google, actually I did some research and found that RedHat and Suse are supposed to be as friendly as Mandrake.

Last question, how do the fonts look on Mandrake ? Any different than RedHat / Suse etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbert
                      Slougi,

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't I need to recompile my kernel in order to use the latest nvidia drivers ?

What about the cs4620 sound chip ?
                      What manufacturer is this? Just did a quick search and didn't really find anything. You can always try ALSA
                      About google, actually I did some research and found that RedHat and Suse are supposed to be as friendly as Mandrake.
                      Mandrake is still easier.
                      Last question, how do the fonts look on Mandrake ? Any different than RedHat / Suse etc ?

linuxnewbie in general is a good place to start.
                      -Slougi

Comment

Why are you praising an operating system with terrible fonts, terrible user experience and that to do half of the stuff, you need to go to the console ?
                        Fonts are largely an IP issue, and slougi has already touched on some things.

"user experience" is completely relative. Here I am on my XP box wishing it could do half the things of a sane OS.

There's rarely "need" to go to the console, although I much prefer it. The console is immensely powerful and efficient. A good shell is worth 1000 GUIs.

Why do I haev to mount my CD-ROM ? Windows and BeOS know when one was inserted and it's automaticly mounted for me.
                        You can turn on auto-mounting quite easily. However, unlike Windows, Linux is generally set up with security as a priority. I'd rather have to open the windows myself than find myself hanging in the breeze until I can do something about it.

#pptp 10.0.0.138 --quirks=BEZEQ_ISRAEL debug user "user@iisrasrv" remotename "10.0.0.138 RELAY_PPP1" defaultroute mtu 1452 mru 1452 noauth

Because you didn't bother setting it up right. Automate it, leave it on, whatever you want.

Why do I need to recompile my kernel in order for my video and sound to work ?
                        You likely don't. There should be modules for your kernel handy. If there isn't, you don't need to compile your own, just get the RPM and be done with it.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because you didn't bother setting it up right. Automate it, leave it on, whatever you want.
                          I did set it up right. This is how it's supposed to work, at least according to this page: ADSL connection with Linux

Slougi,

I did read the nvidia read me file, I downloaded the pdf.
                          How do I exit X ? When I do the ctrl_alt_backspace it just restarts X. The read me file isn't too noob oriented.

About the CS4630, the instructions are here:
                          Cirrus Logic Linux drivers for 2.4.x kernel.

The directories they're referring to don't exist in my redhat installation nor I know how to build kernel/module directory.

I'll check linuxnewbie this evening and hope for good.

Comment

BTW,

I agree that the console it a great powertool - for the one who knows how to use it. I know DOS, I know DCL (Digital Command Language) but alas I know almost no BASH. This means only one thing - trouble.

At least I managed learning a little about piping (|less and |grep) only I don't use grep too well yet.

One nice thing about Gentoo is nano, reminds me a lot of the edit in VMS. I should download it. Once it's there I'll feel a litle more familiar ith editing endless text files

Maybe till I learn some bash I'll use
                            DCL Lite (hoping I'll manage the installation).

Comment

note that individual applications (like nano) really have nothing to do with the distribution. Nano is available for any linux installation really.
                              Tilable Desktop Backgrounds, perfect for DualHead: http://bg.rifetech.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X