Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dogooders do they like the sound of there own voice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogooders do they like the sound of there own voice.

I wonder about these people sometimes.
    It's be proposed that elderly people who suffer from things like Alzahmas be tagged so their where abouts is known.
    The dogooders of course are up in arms saying it infriges personal liberties blah blah. The people who care these poeple welcome the idea as they know their parent/parents or other relations can be quickly tracked down rather than been found mugged or under a bus.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I am thinking that as long as the person (or person with power of attourney) concents to the personal "lowjack", why should civil liberties groups have any say in it. I mean, some elderly wear medical "call buttons" around their neck so they can message for assistance, which is just a manual form of this.

I think these groups may think this would just be the first step to personal tracers ala Demolition Man. Not a bad idea:

"Central, where is my son? It is an hour past his curfew."
    "Your son is at the Watson residence, who have a 15-year-old daughter home alone this weekend ... ... the slut"
    Buckaroo, the President's on line 1, calling about is everything okay with the alien space bomb and Planet Ten, or should we just go ahead and destroy Russia?

Tell him yes on one and no on two.

Which was yes? The destroy Russia, or the, uh, number two?

Comment

actually skratch it's not the same thing at all... what you are comparing it to for one is limited to a recieving radius which is typically less than 300' (~100m). Secondly it doesn't tell anyone where you are like a satelite tracking can. Thirdly the panic buttons are voluntary... leave this stuff up to the likes of the current administratipon (ie US Goverment) and the next thing you know all kids will have them... manditory for whatever reason... then it'll be pressed for the rest of us to have for some other reason like Homeland Security
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Is someone with Alzhiemers desiease really capable of making the desicion, though. Spekaing from personal experience...not a chance. I personally think that dying from Alzhiemers is worse than dying from cancer.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The mother of a friend of mine has 'vascular dementia' which is very similar to Alziemers. She is over 70, probably will live many more years and hasn't a clue from day to day what is going on. She finally gave up her drivers license a few months ago, thankfully, and is scheduled to move from a very nice condo into assisted living as she is becoming incapable of looking after herself. If you met her on the street you wouldnt know there is anything wrong with her at first glance but spend more than a few minutes with her and its very obvious that there are problems with her memory(among other things).

Your retirement years are supposed to be spent enjoying life, friends, grandchildren, whatever, not living in a hollow shell.

Someone please shoot me if I ever get that way.

As far as tagging these people; if they are institutionalized, then by all means give the caregivers some way of tracking them.
          Laurie
          ======

Comment

leave this stuff up to the likes of the current administratipon (ie US Goverment) and the next thing you know all kids will have them... manditory for whatever reason... then it'll be pressed for the rest of us to have for some other reason like Homeland Security
            We already are coming to that. Look at the FCC mandates for cell phones in the next few years. GPS recievers that transmit your location back when the gov't requests it.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              We already are coming to that. Look at the FCC mandates for cell phones in the next few years. GPS recievers that transmit your location back when the gov't requests it.
              I'm alright then I haven't got one.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT

I'm alright then I haven't got one.
                Alright, most people here know how I feel about "big brother," but think about it.. if you have watched television or movies for the past 30 years, you know the authorities can trace any regular phone line. Is there a big difference?

Comment

...and your cable TV provider knows what programs you watch.
                  How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                  Who cares?

Comment

Don't have cable either.
                    Anyone bugging my phone line or doing traces will have died of boredom by now.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X