Mozilla on a weight-loss program = Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla on a weight-loss program = Phoenix

Mozilla.org's Phoenix is SO worth a look! Finally, Mozilla has lost some weight, snorted some speed and grown wings. I used to struggle to keep Mozilla running simply because I got frustrated with it's bulkiness and speed... Phoenix on the other hand... I will shamelessly promote at the risk of copping flames!

It's awesome, get it! (And right click on the toolbar to customise!)
    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

beonex.com
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Frequently Asked Questions

2.You said this is a lean, lightweight browser, but it's 8MB! I laugh at your silly lies!
      LOL

Comment

at least they've got a sense of humour
        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

There's also <a href="http://www.hmetzger.de/net7comp.html" title="removes the AOL cruft">Netscape 7 Compact</a>. Not as fast as Phoenix, but a bit more stable.

Phoenix is made by a small core of Moz developers trying to prove XUL can be portable and still be *fast*. "The core team working on the Phoenix project consists of <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/">Dave Hyatt</a>, Blake Ross, Pierre Chanial and Asa Dotzler, with additional support coming for the mozilla.org staff." -<a href="http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/3266/020925mozilla/">ITWorld</a>

Two things may happen if they succeed:

Short term: Phoenix features, (customizable toolbar, improved bookmarks,) rolled into Moz/NS.
          Long term: NS marketing sees Phoenix loads faster than Netscape7, and breaks Netscape8 into separate browser, mail, and composer apps. And pigs will fly.

Comment

even if pigs don't fly, I'll be quite happy to use Phoenix all day every day, because unlike IE6.01, Mozille (yep, even mozilla), and NS7, it hasn't crashed once, and with 6 browser tabs open, it's only using 40Mb of memory space, pretty good!

Comment

I'm looking forward to Phoenix as long as they meet their goals. Just be aware that this is revision 0.1 people.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

hm....
                Moz 1.1, 3 Windows and one of them with 6 browsertabs : 35MB !?!
                I'l think I keep Moz.....
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I definitely think this will be future of Mozilla, just give it time at least until spring to evolve a bit. I mean it is quite nice even now, but there are still a lot of things to add/improve and people could be put off if they try it at such early stage of development. Something similar happened to Winamp3 IMHO where everyone spat on how it is slow, how it is missing features and such and noone saw a brilliant component platform running behind it (Wasabi). Next year, everyone is gonna say how Winamp3 is great
                  Last edited by luni; 26 September 2002, 02:28.

Comment

I'm going to go and try this on my 486. Mozilla is on the edge of usability on that box.
                    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

hmm i just checked it out, after 5 minutes i deleted it too buggy, no preferences. maybe once it reaches 0.5 i might give it another try.
                      actually i dont know why they are trying to reinvent the wheel because Beonex is exactly what they are trying to do, a lightweigth mozilla. all features included, very stable.

Comment

hmmm, Opera anyone?

Umf
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Been using it the whole day, very happy with it so far.
                          -Slougi

Comment

I've left Mozilla for Phoenix, I'll no doubt get a bitch slap next time I load Mozilla on my box at home

Comment

Well at least someone is trying to make apps smaller. About time too.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X