MSI 745 Ultra questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI 745 Ultra questions

Well been running into a couple werid quirks here and there with it. First off I've been having problems with my Promise TX2 RAID controller...in BIOS Verison 1.0 I had to pull the card out and set the OS to Plug and Play to get it to work after getting an error from the RAID controller saying busmastering wasn't enabled, when it was. Then I decided to update the BIOS to verison 1.5, which was a bad idea...I couldn't even boot up to the RAID controller. I kept getting getting a bad CMOS error even after clearing it out by the jumper. I went to the 1.3 after remembering a post by Gurm here and everything seems well so far. The only remaining issue, a minor one, is that the MSI Boot logo is corrupted..though so far I haven't had any other gfx problems either in Windows or BIOS setup screen.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

It may be that MSI is one of the many companies that pulled shortcuts with their video boot modes. This causes the corruption you describe, and has been covered over in Matrox Hardware a few months ago. The onus is on the MB makers to follow Matrox's instructions on how to fix what they did incorrectly. I turned the boot graphic off, I much prefer to see if there were any errors with the processor or memory.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, just turn off the boot graphic. I've seen it go wiggy a time or two with my Radeon, as well.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

If the onboard Sound is active (as it becomes after a bios uppdate) my TX2 wont work properly
        I have to pull it out to get into bios to be able to disable onboard sound
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What? What exactly happens? Why can't you just enter the BIOS setup?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The BIOS is waiting for the TX2's bios to finish and it never does.....
            The TX2 tries to find HDD's, don't find any and "freezes"

BTW:
            On the VIA, the raid made the PCI bus crap out if the "PCI Bus utilization" was on high,
            Can I safely leave it on "High" now that I got A SIS 745 system
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              The BIOS is waiting for the TX2's bios to finish and it never does.....
              The TX2 tries to find HDD's, don't find any and "freezes"

BTW:
              On the VIA, the raid made the PCI bus crap out if the "PCI Bus utilization" was on high,
              Can I safely leave it on "High" now that I got A SIS 745 system
              Hmm you had the same problem as Me. I'm not sure if I have my PCI Bus utilization set to High in the RAID BIOS or not..thats where your talking about right?
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I have a windows app that lets me change it on the fly...

But its that function I'm refering to..
                I did some small tests and I did not nitice the (on VIA) signs of outpacing the PCI bandwith; crakling noise while playing mp3 and such....
                On the other hand, The Doc is using a 90+mb card on a SIS745 board so it should be able to handle the TX2 at full without anything bad happening

Comment

Working...
                X