Mmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmm

At the moment I'm filling two posts at work. The department has created a new post which is a combination of the two jobs I'm doing now. It's an Admin grade rather than technical which means more money in the long run.
    Now this is where it gets complicated my immediate boss is all powerful due to his connections his boss our team leader can't really say anything against him becuase of this.
    Technically speaking if I get the job I'm under the team leader but I'm 100% sure my old boss will be calling the tune and will continue blocking everything that I try to do.
    I'm also pretty sure he's going to stop me getting the new post anyway as he wants a yes man which I ain't. Now if get offered the post is there really any point in taking it bar the extra money.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Is there a reason you shouldn't?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

...well "barring the extra money", what for? Headaches and frustration? There's a point at which no amount of money is worth your first heart attack at 42 and the final at 52.

In any case, you damn well right now it won't work out, unless some dynamic, ambition or politic changes in your group. Is that likely?
      How can you possibly take anything seriously?
      Who cares?

Comment

If I understand things correctly, you'll be under control of your current boss anyway, so if nothing else changes, why not get the money?

If it was really that bad, I'd look for a new job, though.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
          ...well "barring the extra money", what for? Headaches and frustration? There's a point at which no amount of money is worth your first heart attack at 42 and the final at 52.

In any case, you damn well right now it won't work out, unless some dynamic, ambition or politic changes in your group. Is that likely?
          No change likely I'm afraid.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by az
            If I understand things correctly, you'll be under control of your current boss anyway, so if nothing else changes, why not get the money?

If it was really that bad, I'd look for a new job, though.

AZ
            Too old to look for a new job it was bad enougth when I was thirty. Besides there's very little in the way of IT in the south yorkshire area and what there is is even worse paid than I am now.
            If I go back to my old job I'm out of the office a lot so he forgets to fath around then and bothers someone else instead.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Damn! I thouhgt this thread would be about doughnuts!

How much more money are we talking? 5%? 10%? 50%?

At what point is the extra money worth the extra hassle? I personally would go for less hassle, but within limits on the money side of course!
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

...perhaps you are thinking in a vacuum. Is there a possibility you can talk individually with each of the bosses and ask their advice?

People are highly flattered when their advice is asked, and often open up and chatter away all over the place, revealing things they might otherwise have not. Just listen, nod wisely, avoid any conflicts or sore spots. Let the other guy talk, 'til he's blue, and when he's through, say "Thank you, that's a lot of food for thought." And go.

The way it is now, it sounds like a stalemate situation, which will likely stagnate. You need to somehow open the situation up, if not in the group and the bosses, at least in yourself so that you can see better where you are and what you want. You might be surprised what pops up.

Talking with people, or just letting them talk is not being a yes man. It's just wise, and you always have the advantage when people talk to you, because you listen while almost no one else does. Not their boss, not their wife, not even their dog.

It's not wise to reach any decision before you have listened to everyone, including your dog.
                Who cares?

Comment

What mutz says here is very real. It's also mentioned in great detail in a book titled "The 59 second employee"
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
                    ...perhaps you are thinking in a vacuum. Is there a possibility you can talk individually with each of the bosses and ask their advice?

People are highly flattered when their advice is asked, and often open up and chatter away all over the place, revealing things they might otherwise have not. Just listen, nod wisely, avoid any conflicts or sore spots. Let the other guy talk, 'til he's blue, and when he's through, say "Thank you, that's a lot of food for thought." And go.

Problem is it doesn't matter what I say even if I agree with him which is about 90% of the time he still thinks I'm disagreeing and doesn't seem to listen. His mind is, lets say closed.
                    The other problem is when things don't get done I.E he's got give the orders and make the arrangements becuase he's the only one with authority to do it it's almost as if I'm the gulity party. However I don't get the flak the section supervisor does I just hear about it later.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I once had a client who had an English subsidiary which gave them nothing but problems. They asked me to see if I could get it straightened out. After about a month of wasting my time, I told him to dump it. Hmmm, my client said, that's the one thing we didn't think of.

The old boy network is one of England's oldest perversions and one which hinders them all over the place. It has nothing to do with accomplishing anything, whatever they purport or pretend. It is pointless to go up against it, because you are only banging your head against a wall. However sick you may find it, any serious attempt against it will probably land you on the street.

Considering your position from what you have said before, I would simply take a philosophical view of the whole thing, take it with humor if you can, but don't let it get to you. Do as good a job as you can under the circumstances, put the money in the bank, and seek your fulfillment elsewhere in your life. If some change happens somewhere down the line, you will also be in a better position to take advantage of it, in that you haven't identified yourself with any party, but are accepted by all.

Remind yourself from time to time "This is my life. I can love it or hate it, it's just up to me. If I love it, they'll love it. If I hate it, they'll hate it. It's just up to me."
                      Who cares?

Comment

Ah well I'm going to get more after next week and it won't be my fault. At least I've got only three days of stupidity.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X