Its a hot time in the server room today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its a hot time in the server room today

When I got to work this morning all our servers were down. The pointy-headed bureaucrats in their infinite wisdom have centralized the servers (that almost 2000 government workers are hooked to) into a room of about 250 square feet. I don't know how many servers are in there but this is the e-mail we received:

"The electrical cooling system at the Jutland server room failed completely mid-night last night, resulting in two over-heated server rooms with all the ministry's XP, UNIX servers and the Storage Network Area. At one point the highest temperature reached 68 deg C., well beyond most of threshold temperature of operations for most of the servers, disk and tape drives and network gears. As at 10:45 AM. the cooling problem is still not fixed and the temperature in the two server room remains hot. All servers, storage and tape drive remains power down until the temperature reaches the tolerable operating limit, say about 50 deg C. I think we will be at least another hour before we can get to that point.
    Once the temperature is stabilized we will worked with SUN and HP server and SAN support personnel to go through a damage assessment and start to restart the core services. I will also say the last night's problem is substantial and it will be a great challenge for us to recover all the services today. I will give you another update around noon, once I know about the damages caused by the heat. Thanks, cY. "

For you Celsius- impared persons: 68 C. = 154.4 F.
    Laurie
    ======

Pour a little water on them servers and grab a towel, then sit back and enjoy the sauna!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Sounds familar. Dipsticks at our place moved our servers into a secure area and forgot to upgrade the air conditioning. The downside theres no where cool to go in the summer anymore and you also have turn all monitors and lighting off when you leave the room. That way the conditioning just manages.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The air conditioner broke about a week ao in our building, now there's 500 sum computers and 500 sum people making the heat even worse.

I would say it's about 24-26C in this building right now, and it's nice and cool outside. Unless some retard turned up the heat.

Comment

Damn cock suckers!!!!!!!

Yup I was right, it's about 78F in my part of the building where I work and it's 70C everywhere else. Their ****ing stupid excuse is causes of the windows aren't well insulated. Well **** me! They aren't the ones sitting here in front of a computer trying to stay awake and trying to dry off!!!

**** it pisses me off. NO ONE WILL TURN DOWN THE ****ING HEAT!!!!!!!! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Over the past ten years or so we have driven the building maintenance guys crazy with our complaints about the temperature. Our building is a former warehouse that was never intended to be used for offices. That said, I am in a section where the temp is most always quite bearable(~68-70F). We have heat-pumps for heat/cooling and baseboards for backup in winter. Luckily the climate here in Victoria is not known for extremes.

BTW, our themostats are locked and only the maintenance guys have keys.
            Laurie
            ======

Comment

Hey Laurie, we are about the same size goverment office (2500 employees).
              We have about 40 servers
              But they are all in the special room our mainframe used to be in.
              It's like a refrigerator
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Afte all that complaining a manager finally tried to turn the heat down, but to no avail! He was locked out. Dammit, at least SOMEONE did something.

But I emailed our building facilites, 2 other co-workers did too. Hopefully they will do soemthing.

Comment

Chuck, there are only 60 people in my building. There are hundreds in the building that contains the central server room. The rest are scattered province wide but still linked to these now probably fried servers. Our own servers used to be in our building in a special air conditioned room that was built years ago to house 8 or 9 very large IBM towers the size of phone booths. But for the sake of efficiency they were moved to the easy bake oven.

This was our last communication:

"All Selkirk Servers, File systems, Terminal Servers, etc. will remain down for the rest of the day to allow us to assess the damages. As most of the gears had been subjected to pro-longed overheat at 68 deg C, we expected extensive hardware damages and the loss of manufacturer warrantees. Even the server can power up but the long term reliability will be in question. We must identify clearly the extend of damages this site has endured at this point and then recovery the first batch of core server and application services "

Doesn't sound too good. We'll see what's happening tomorrow morning.
                  Laurie
                  ======

Comment

I kinda wish that something like that would happen here, that way we can get sent home and relax for once!

Comment

Our main server room has gobs of redundancy in the cooling system. I think we can lose more than half of the a/c units without having any problems. There is also one hell of a ups system, with two large banks of batteries, and two redundant diesel generators. We can't afford to have problems like this, since we have upwards of $100 million worth of equipment in there. Then there's the backup site a few miles away that has a complete duplicate of all the systems that are in the main building...

By the way, I work for a bank, so fault tolerance is kind of important.

Edit:

Here's some of the pricier items in that server room:

About 20 of these - http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/s390/pes/
                      A couple of these - http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/10000/
                      A whole pile of these - http://www.storagetek.com/prodserv/products/disk/V960/
                      We even have 12 of these monsters (4,320 TB of backup capacity baby!!) - http://www.storagetek.com/prodserv/p...10/9310_pb.htm
                      Last edited by agallag; 26 September 2002, 00:09.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Yay!!!!!

Rack one up for the little guy!!!!!

They turned down the temperature first thing this morning, and it's nice and cool again! YAY!!! No more profuse sweating, no more groggyness!

Finally the little guy wins one. I sent a very professional email complaining to them and they responded immediately! I'm impressed.

Comment

ZokesPro Wins!!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                            ZokesPro Wins!!

It's a small victory from the dozens of battles I am currently fighting here but it's a victory non the less.

Comment

Working...
                            X