Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo Slows Internet Traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo Slows Internet Traffic

How many people are playing the Unreal Tournament 2003 demo? Using the download numbers Infogrames released on Tuesday as an indicator, masses of them. The game publisher said Unreal Tournament 2003 tallied nearly 1.2 million downloads between its debut Friday night, September 13 and Wednesday morning, September 18, according to statistics tracked by websites offering the demo. In addition, the global Internet "Traffic Index", which tracks how fast information is transferred through the Internet, took a sizeable hit when the demo was released on September 13. As a result of so many people downloading the installation file, Infogrames claims the average speed of the Internet worldwide was cut nearly in half.
    on AVault

Comment

I wonder if it's gonna set a new record in actual sales....
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

...and how long will it be before ripped versions hit the P2P networks?

Gentlemen, start your modems...
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I'm too damn lazy to download 3 CD's and the first ones will only appear on private FTP's...I think I'll just go to my local, uh, "licensed software&games" vendor and inquire about it

Comment

You mean the guy next door who is in all the warez groups and has an 8MB dsl line?

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Personally I think just having it on 3 CDs is enough instentive Not to Download a Warez verison of it. Hell I have a 10mbit Cable Connection (about 5-6Mbit accual with my craptasic 10/100 port on my linksys router) and at 700mb+ plus x3 that would take days upon days to get. I rather go spend the $40 bucks I've seen it listed for
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Neah, this guy would more or less be me I was refering to a vendor at the local computer hardware&pirated CD Mall.

Comment

Just about all software in Bankock is Pirated!
                  Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Not true, for people that are not bothered by the Thai language manual (I am not one of those people ) new licensed games can be had for maximum 12$ (that's how much Mafia costs, box and all)- I think it's because of the massive game room mania plaguing the country, the copyright rule is enforced for them so they have to buy a lot of genuine games-I guess this helped drive the costs down quite a bit. It's a different matter altogether for imported games, which cost double or triple that ammount, but for Thai people it's a very good deal.

Comment

Downloading isn't such a big problem when you have a nearby server. I downloaded around 3GB in one night here over my 1.5Mb ADSL.

On the other hand, I like having some games in the original form. Since games are one of the most short lived commodities (movies and music keep on selling years later) we have to support the creators a little.
                      I hope they make a DVD version though.

Comment

Bloatware is a pretty effective deterrent to piracy, even with 512kb or faster broadband is becoming popular.
                        Personally I'd buy UT2003 (if I was interested and if I felt like upgrading my system just to play it), because it sounds really good, its predecessor was really good and Epic dont release 80mb patches every few months that screw with the gameplay but you MUST have to play the game online, like Valve does for Half-Life.
                        I'm afraid Half Life is the last game I'll ever buy from Valve or Sierra. I'll shamelessly warez the next one of their games I want to try, and if they dont balls it up with monster patches, then I'll go buy it legally.
                        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                          Personally I think just having it on 3 CDs is enough instentive Not to Download a Warez verison of it. Hell I have a 10mbit Cable Connection (about 5-6Mbit accual with my craptasic 10/100 port on my linksys router) and at 700mb+ plus x3 that would take days upon days to get. I rather go spend the $40 bucks I've seen it listed for
                          Why don't you just turn a 486 or a Pentium into a Linux router and use the speed of your connection to its potential...
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

i dunno K6-III if thats help. from what i saw on the TV the only thing that really speeds up your internet connection is a PENTIUM4
                            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Working...
                            X